The Student Room Group

Medicine with low gcses

Hey! So I've been really stressed recently as my gcse grades weren't great at all. I got 777666555. And the grade 5 include English language and chem. Do you guys still think i can do medicine with these grades, if not what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

hi,
the gcse grades aren’t much of a problem as you can apply to med schools that don’t weight them that much or at all, apart from meeting requirements e.g. you need a 5 in english lang. the problem comes with your 5 in chem, if there were no extenuating circumstances how can you expect to achieve an A in a level chem when you couldn’t achieve a B at gcse? if you think it’s do able then that’s fine, it’s just something to think about
Plenty of medical schools don't score GCSEs if you meet their minimum requirements (e.g. Imperial which just requires a 6 or above in English language). As above you just need to take the time to identify the medical schools you have the best profile for.
I’m in the same position as you, with almost the same GCSEs.

I’m applying this year with 976666655 (5s in Spanish and English Langauge) and 3 A*s predicted at a level. My GCSEs were teacher assessed, which they messed up. However, with a ucat of 2930, I can apply to 7 medical schools, Bristol, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Leeds, BSMS and Exeter.

So yes, you can apply to medicine, but you need a good UCAT (top 15%) and a good set of A levels. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it; if anything it should make your application more advantageous as it shows resilience and discipline.

However, I would recommend retaking the English language (I wish I did).

Good luck :smile:.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lanky_giraffe

I’m applying this year with 976666655 (5s in Spanish and English Langauge) and 3 A*s predicted at a level. My GCSEs were teacher assessed, which they messed up. However, with a ucat of 2930, I can apply to 7 medical schools, Bristol, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Leeds, BSMS and Exeter.

So yes, you can apply to medicine, but you need a good UCAT (top 15%) and a good set of A levels. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it; if anything it should make your application more advantageous as it shows resilience and discipline.

Thank you so much!!
Reply 5

how were you able to apply to seven med schools?
Original post by anisa000
how were you able to apply to seven med schools?

They mean limited to only 7 so made a decision of 4 from those 7 despite having a grade 5 in eng lang they could still apply and were not disadvantaged as they worked hard to make up the difference or an international student but seems more likely to be the first option
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by lilysilly_5454
They mean limited to only 7 so made a decision of 4 from those 7 despite having a grade 5 in eng lang they could still apply and were not disadvantaged as they worked hard to make up the difference or an international student but seems more likely to be the first option

Yeah, the first option. Also, I believe even internationals can only apply to 4.

I thought I was pretty clear in that I didn’t apply to 7, but could only apply to 7. I mean the context in which it’s written makes it pretty obvious, but maybe not.
Yeah, the first option. Also, I believe even internationals can only apply to 4.

I thought I was pretty clear in that I didn’t apply to 7, but could only apply to 7. I mean the context in which it’s written makes it pretty obvious, but maybe not.

Did you end up getting in
Did you end up getting in

I got an offer but ended up withdrawing my application because my mum had terminal cancer, so I’m not really in the right mind to go and study medicine; also, how the NHS is right now and the fact that I love solving problems I think engineering is for me. I’ve applied for biomedical/chemical engineering this year.

I got 2 A*s and 1 A in my A levels and now I’m studying a level maths in my gap year predicted A* to hopefully go to imperial this year.
I also got 4 interviews if you were wondering

Congratulations! Did u get the interview for engineering? How did they go? I really hope you enjoy it.

thats great sorry about you mum i hope she is doing better or is in a better place now... I think its really admirable hope you do well in your future endeavours and also get an offer from imperial good luck
Reply 13

Finally can you get medicine offer ?
Reply 14

Can you share which universities you got interview?
Original post by Kingson
Can you share which universities you got interview?
Bristol, Newcastle, Exeter and Glasgow
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
Congratulations! Did u get the interview for engineering? How did they go? I really hope you enjoy it.
I did and I got an offer for biomedical engineering.
thats great sorry about you mum i hope she is doing better or is in a better place now... I think its really admirable hope you do well in your future endeavours and also get an offer from imperial good luck
Thank you 🙏
I think I’m more suited to being an engineer compared to being a doctor. I believe and hope I can save many more lives and have a happier life being an engineering compared to if I were a doctor.
Reply 19
Thank you for your sharing . As my GCSE Eng also got
grade 5 . Is it possible to apply medicine with my Ilets
result (average 7.5) or my application will be automatically rejected by the system .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending