The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath vs QMUL

So I got into Bath for maths and I'm about to start next week. But my dad has been mad at me the whole time (since I didn't get into cambs, imperial and ucl even though I got 3A*s in the end) and he says that if I was going to get into a bad uni I might as well have gone to a London uni since I could've saved money by living at home.

He's mad that I didn't call up any London unis on results day to try and get in. The only london uni in clearing for maths was QMUL so I didn't call them up because I didn't want to risk my bath spot. Also I thought Bath was better enough than QMUL that it would've been silly to give up on my bath offer.

Did I make the right decision?
Reply 1
Which university did you dad go to, btw?

Bath is a much much better university than QM.

It's a bit late now, but if you wanted to strike a balance you could have taken the year off and applied again. I'm sure you would have gotten one of those three.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
Which university did you dad go to, btw?

Bath is a much much better university than QM.

It's a bit late now, but if you wanted to strike a balance you could have taken the year off and applied again. I'm sure you would have gotten one of those three.

Thank you for saying that.

My parents are against gap years but also against the uni I got into; it's a bit weird.

My dad went to uni in India and I don't think it was ranked well but back in those days most people just went to whatever was closest.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for saying that.

My parents are against gap years but also against the uni I got into; it's a bit weird.

My dad went to uni in India and I don't think it was ranked well but back in those days most people just went to whatever was closest.

There you go then. If his entire understanding of universities is based on nonsense, then I wouldn't worry too much about what he has to say. It sounds like he's more concerned about what he can boast about rather than anything of any real substance.

There's no point arguing, it won't make any difference, and you're already enrolled now. It'll be fine and at some point it will become none of their business.
As to whether you would have a better time at QM - that's impossible to say. Bath is objectively a better university in a beautiful city - and QM is a total dump. QM is chock full of Asian students who weren't allowed to leave London because they didn't get into Cambridge. Sound familiar?
Reply 4
Bath is a TOP Uni for Maths.

QMUL is not know for anything much - and its in Bethnal Green.

Quick Reply

Latest