The Student Room Group

Will Law firms pay for my LLB if I secure a training contract from the second year?

If I manage to get a training contract in my second year of LLB will the Law firm pay the rest or part of my fees and is it difficult to get into Magic Circle or US firms without going to Russel Group Uni?
Not for your first degree, just for your post grad. As for getting into the higher paid firms it is really difficult for everyone including Oxbridge candidates.
There are some firms which take school leavers - 6 year solicitor apprenticeships who in a sense then pay all the costs from age 18.
Reply 2
Original post by 17Student17
Not for your first degree, just for your post grad. As for getting into the higher paid firms it is really difficult for everyone including Oxbridge candidates.
There are some firms which take school leavers - 6 year solicitor apprenticeships who in a sense then pay all the costs from age 18.

Thanks for the response.

I know it’s hard for everyone including Oxbridge students but will it be harder for me if I’m not from a Russel Group Uni?
Original post by Yousuf27
Thanks for the response.

I know it’s hard for everyone including Oxbridge students but will it be harder for me if I’m not from a Russel Group Uni?

I’d say it would probably be harder, yes. While there are plenty of non-RG lawyers in top city firms, the vast majority are from RG. In my experience, the non-RG lawyers also tend to be more often lateral hires. If you get a first, though, you should still be in a competitive position.
Reply 4
Yes I think the above is correct about the fees for undergraduate degrees. I’m sure you will get something though! I would check out the Commercial Law Academy which has helped me a lot with preparing for applications :smile: https://www.commerciallaw.academy
Original post by Yousuf27
If I manage to get a training contract in my second year of LLB will the Law firm pay the rest or part of my fees and is it difficult to get into Magic Circle or US firms without going to Russel Group Uni?

Hi @Yousuf27,

If you manage to secure a TC it is unlikely that the firm will pay for the rest of your LLB but they will likely fund the rest of your studies such as the SQE preparation courses and the cost of the exams themselves. In terms, of getting into top firms there isn't the same prejudice surrounding RG unis that used to apply. In fact, a lot of firms retract information such as where you went to school or university from the application so they cannot see it when doing their paper sift, they can only see your grades and relevant experience etc. Of course, this isn't the case for all and there is no real way of telling how much weight is placed on which university you attended but I wouldn't let it put you off!

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending