The Student Room Group

GDL or Senior Status LLB..? Help!

Hi everyone,

Ive never thought ill be back at TSR but here I am after 4years since my initial uni application.

I went to LSE and have a 2:1 degree in politics.

Going to LSE, Ive always thought investment banking and consulting would be my future career path.

However, going through a couple of internships I felt like the two fields just aren’t for me.

Recently law drew my attention and I am considering various paths to becoming a solicitor.

My main concern is whether I should pursue a GDL/PgDip or an accelerated bachelors degree in law.

The former is definitely cheaper and saves me time but I don’t like the fact that GDLs are diplomas and most of the providers of these courses are private educational institutions.

On the other hand, accelerated law degrees are expensive (especially because Im an international student) but they reward proper degrees and are offered by top unis like oxbridge, which I am aiming for.

Considering the success in my career as a solicitor, which one shall be a better option? And if pursuing a accelerated law degree is the way to go how high is my chance of getting into oxbridge law?

Thanks for reading through and honest opinions will be a huge help for me :smile:
80% of top firms use BPP or University of Law for the post grad professional exams. In theory under the new SQE system for solicitors you do not need a PGDL at all actually, just have to pass the SQE1 and 2 exams and have 2 years of training/TC/QWE. However firms sponsoring their future trainees tend to pay for the PGDL for those without an LLB. A lot of non law students do a lot of law things at unversity on their first degree and apply to vacations schemes and training contracts as the firms recruit years ahead. Those kinds of firms tend to pay for your PGDL and SQE so you might want to make applications in the hope a firm will pay for your next stage.

2/1 from LSE is a very good start. Look on a lot of law firm websites to see their process for application and timings. Also look at linkedin profiles of newly hired trainee solicitors there to see what those people did. You could also (if you can afford it) go for the PGDL/SQE course (there is no need to add the pointless masters element as that is only done for home students who need student finance post grad loans)
Original post by citgg1202
Hi everyone,

Ive never thought ill be back at TSR but here I am after 4years since my initial uni application.

I went to LSE and have a 2:1 degree in politics.

Going to LSE, Ive always thought investment banking and consulting would be my future career path.

However, going through a couple of internships I felt like the two fields just aren’t for me.

Recently law drew my attention and I am considering various paths to becoming a solicitor.

My main concern is whether I should pursue a GDL/PgDip or an accelerated bachelors degree in law.

The former is definitely cheaper and saves me time but I don’t like the fact that GDLs are diplomas and most of the providers of these courses are private educational institutions.

On the other hand, accelerated law degrees are expensive (especially because Im an international student) but they reward proper degrees and are offered by top unis like oxbridge, which I am aiming for.

Considering the success in my career as a solicitor, which one shall be a better option? And if pursuing a accelerated law degree is the way to go how high is my chance of getting into oxbridge law?

Thanks for reading through and honest opinions will be a huge help for me :smile:

Hi @citgg1202!

Personally, I would not recommend doing the accelerated LLB in place of the PGDL due to the money and time expense that it will cost you. In order to qualify as a solicitor you will have to fund and sit the SQE prep courses and exams which are both quite expensive and take several years to complete (of course, if you get a training contract, then the firm will likely pay for these but they are very competitive so you may not be able to rely on this funding). Also, once you have completed your SQEs you will have to do qualifying work experience, so, adding an extra year to your studies unnecessarily may not be the best plan (of course, this is completely a personal decision and may suit you fine!).
If you are concerned about the fact you would rather have an actual degree rather than a diploma at the end of the qualification, I would recommend looking into doing a MA Law (SQE1) or MA Law (conversion) which are offered at several institutions including the University of Law. Through these courses, you would do the conversion course and also a diss or the first part of your SQEs and, therefore, would qualify with a Masters degree (this also means that you can access SFE if you haven't already done a Masters).
In terms of how these qualifications are viewed, many of my classmates who wish to become solicitors are doing the conversion and have already been offered training contracts at top firms so it shouldn't negatively impact your career. Furthermore, having spoken to many Barristers (I am about to do the BPC), many of them from top chambers did conversion courses rather than LLBs. I hope this helps and let me know if I can help you further!

Good luck in making your decision and converting to law!

Sophie :smile:
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending