The Student Room Group

Year abroad at Middle Eastern Studies at Oxford

Hey! I have just enrolled to Christ Church Oxford. Here is a background: initially I applied for French and Russian and entered Christ Church in 2022, however due to serious family issues I asked to suspend my studies and begin next year. I’ve come back this week and managed to switch my subject to French and Persian because over my year out I rethought some of positions. Thankfully the college and Middle Eastern department authorised it. Now, AEMES (Asian, Middle Eastern and European languages) has a year abroad. The year abroad is second year and they are asking me to go to Armenia and Tajikistan. Firstly, part of my family is Azeri, and since they are now at war with Armenia (who I have nothing against btw), they might feel very uncomfortable with me going there. Secondly, I really don’t want to go in my second year… in my time in 2022 I made so many amazing friends and a wonderful girlfriend and was sad to leave them for part of the year. While I’m a fresher again, they’re all second years now, and next year (my year abroad) will be in their last. I’m not sure how good of an excuse those things are but are there any oxford AEMES students that can help me answer these questions ? Thank you for reading my long post ahah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending