The Student Room Group

ENGAA test takers 2023

I've not seen much on this forum at all about people taking the ENGAA this year. What college are you applying to and how are your preparations going?

(goes without saying good luck to you all...this test is humbling)

Anyone else applying to Pembroke???
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JohnDahmer1
I've not seen much on this forum at all about people taking the ENGAA this year. What college are you applying to and how are your preparations going?

(goes without saying good luck to you all...this test is humbling)

I'm applying to St John's and tbh I'm bricking it rn, I do better in the second section of paper 1 than the first section so I think I'll probably spend more time in the exam on the first section (because the questions require less work).

I found that I'm making silly mistakes more than I should do, my mental maths has definitely improved since I started revising but I still need to do column method to work out 24^2 lol.
Original post by Eel88
I'm applying to St John's and tbh I'm bricking it rn, I do better in the second section of paper 1 than the first section so I think I'll probably spend more time in the exam on the first section (because the questions require less work).

I found that I'm making silly mistakes more than I should do, my mental maths has definitely improved since I started revising but I still need to do column method to work out 24^2 lol.

Making me feel so much better…I’m predicted 3A*s and have never had an issue with any maths or physics content I’ve come across, until this exam came up. It takes me longer to process the questions than answer them, and we just don’t have that time. I don’t know how the people who get 9.0s do it.

The stress is also killing my mental health 🥲
Reply 3
for
Making me feel so much better…I’m predicted 3A*s and have never had an issue with any maths or physics content I’ve come across, until this exam came up. It takes me longer to process the questions than answer them, and we just don’t have that time. I don’t know how the people who get 9.0s do it.

The stress is also killing my mental health 🥲

For real I just can't wait for this to be over. There's no way that those ppl getting 9.0 scores are even real.

What college are you applying to btw?
Original post by Eel88
for

For real I just can't wait for this to be over. There's no way that those ppl getting 9.0 scores are even real.

What college are you applying to btw?

Pembroke.

Genuinely feels great to know someone else feels the same. I want to get this exam over and done with.

For a given part of the application process (like this one), Cambridge always says it's a small part and that the applications are viewed holistically. I agree that very few will be outstanding in every single aspect of their application, and even given the statistics we have about ENGAA scores compared to offers, I still feel worried.

The odds of one getting an offer in 2020 if they got a 5.0 in all 3 sections was only 12%... oh dear.
Reply 5
Pembroke.

Genuinely feels great to know someone else feels the same. I want to get this exam over and done with.

For a given part of the application process (like this one), Cambridge always says it's a small part and that the applications are viewed holistically. I agree that very few will be outstanding in every single aspect of their application, and even given the statistics we have about ENGAA scores compared to offers, I still feel worried.

The odds of one getting an offer in 2020 if they got a 5.0 in all 3 sections was only 12%... oh dear.

Good grief that isn't encouraging, hopefully we can do better than a combined score of 15 lol. In previous years you wouldn't get your result for the ENGAA but they've changed it so you now will know how well you did, I think the results come out sometime in January before the final decisions are made.
Original post by Eel88
Good grief that isn't encouraging, hopefully we can do better than a combined score of 15 lol. In previous years you wouldn't get your result for the ENGAA but they've changed it so you now will know how well you did, I think the results come out sometime in January before the final decisions are made.

Wait really? Do you have a source?

Ffs… they really had to switch it up this year. First they pushed it forward 2 weeks and now we’ve got the suspense of waiting for our results 😭

Have you tried a practice paper in timed conditions yet?
Reply 9
Ffs… they really had to switch it up this year. First they pushed it forward 2 weeks and now we’ve got the suspense of waiting for our results 😭

Have you tried a practice paper in timed conditions yet?

It's defo annoying but we move

Yeah, I have because my school have organised a couple for those applying to Oxbridge, one that was in June and one that was literally last week. I definitely did improve since the one in the summer and I found where I've been missing out on in my revision, at home I tend to do specific sections instead of a full paper due to how few of them there are.

This exam has also made me realise how short 2 hours really is, you check the time and half an hour is up and you need to move on to the next section lol
Original post by Eel88
Yeah, I have because my school have organised a couple for those applying to Oxbridge, one that was in June and one that was literally last week.

Lucky. I've been having to go to a library and do practice papers myself. Been getting a bit better with every new paper.

And yeah, the exam is incredibly fast-paced. I guess we'd all get 100% if it wasn't, though. The stress clouds my mind and makes me take a while to process a question. I hope the admissions tutors see more than just my ENGAA score! :frown:
Hi guys, I'm also applying to Cambridge. I'm applying to Trinity College.🙂

I assume you are in the UK? Im applying from Ireland
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rittergo
Hi guys, I'm also applying to Cambridge. I'm applying to Trinity College.🙂

I assume you are in the UK? Im applying from Ireland

Hi!
Yeah, I am. Good luck man...2 days to go!
Cool! How's the prep going?
Cool! How's the prep going?

Meh. I’m consistently getting above average which is ok, but as much as I think I can do better, it’ll have to do. How about you?
I'm getting 7.5s and 8s in section 1, which is decent I think, pretty much same with section 2 as well. I think I should be fine. What college were you applying to?
I'm getting 7.5s and 8s in section 1, which is decent I think, pretty much same with section 2 as well. I think I should be fine. What college were you applying to?

That's excellent mate. You'll surely get in if the rest of your application is just as good. I'm applying to Pembroke.
That's excellent mate. You'll surely get in if the rest of your application is just as good. I'm applying to Pembroke.

Nice! We should definitely stay in touch at least up until the interviews. Good luck tomorrow!
Nice! We should definitely stay in touch at least up until the interviews. Good luck tomorrow!

Definitely, I’m all for it. You too man. Long as we go in, take it easy and don’t stress, we’ll smash the exam.
Reply 19

Yeah, definitely. You're doing great, hopefully we all do well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending