The Student Room Group

cambridge with A*AAA/AAAA?

hi guys
i want to apply to cambridge for engineering and i do 4 a levels. the offer on their website is for 3 (A*A*A), and unlike imperial, hasn't been very clear on their procedure when it comes to 4 a levels.
for context, i do maths, further maths, chem and physics, and my updated grades since my recent mocks are due to arrive at the end of this month/start of october so i'm unsure as to what exactly i'll be applying with. i feel like i have a strong personal statement, with good supercurriculars, projects and extracurriculars, and i feel confident with the material due to come up on the ENGAA (admissions test).

so what are my chances of being accepted?
Reply 1
NOTE: the A* is in maths!

Original post by miss_nia
hi guys
i want to apply to cambridge for engineering and i do 4 a levels. the offer on their website is for 3 (A*A*A), and unlike imperial, hasn't been very clear on their procedure when it comes to 4 a levels.
for context, i do maths, further maths, chem and physics, and my updated grades since my recent mocks are due to arrive at the end of this month/start of october so i'm unsure as to what exactly i'll be applying with. i feel like i have a strong personal statement, with good supercurriculars, projects and extracurriculars, and i feel confident with the material due to come up on the ENGAA (admissions test).

Having more A-levels at grades below the standard offer isn't likely to ameliorate not being predicted the standard offer - as they will routinely have applicants with 4 A-levels who meet the standard offer and get an A or A* in the "extra" A-level.

In any event I gather in general their approach is that they will consider your full application including all grades, although offers are usually made on the basis of 3 A-levels they can set a 4 A-level offer. They are aware not all students have the opportunity to pursue 4 A-levels so generally seem to try and avoid prejudicing against those students by favouring those doing 4 A-levels.

So in general, A*A*A >> A*AAA as far as Cambridge are concerned (actually most unis as well). However it's possible you may be interviewed and made an offer still if e.g. you do very well on the ENGAA and in interview. Note though the offer is likely to be for the standard offer (A*A*A) and may even be a four A-level offer (e.g. A*A*AC, A*A*AA, etc). They may also specify the A*s be in specific subjects.
(edited 7 months ago)
hi guys

what kind of supercurriculars
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Having more A-levels at grades below the standard offer isn't likely to ameliorate not being predicted the standard offer - as they will routinely have applicants with 4 A-levels who meet the standard offer and get an A or A* in the "extra" A-level.

In any event I gather in general their approach is that they will consider your full application including all grades, although offers are usually made on the basis of 3 A-levels they can set a 4 A-level offer. They are aware not all students have the opportunity to pursue 4 A-levels so generally seem to try and avoid prejudicing against those students by favouring those doing 4 A-levels.

So in general, A*A*A >> A*AAA as far as Cambridge are concerned (actually most unis as well). However it's possible you may be interviewed and made an offer still if e.g. you do very well on the ENGAA and in interview. Note though the offer is likely to be for the standard offer (A*A*A) and may even be a four A-level offer (e.g. A*A*AC, A*A*AA, etc). They may also specify the A*s be in specific subjects.

thank you! that makes a lot more sense, i was more confused about it because i couldn't find a lot of info online
Reply 5
Original post by areej.al_khadem
what kind of supercurriculars

i did work experience with transport for london, i did the insight into bristol summer school on the engineering stream, and i'm currently in the middle of a project where i'm building my own bluetooth speaker
Reply 6
i did work experience with transport for london, i did the insight into bristol summer school on the engineering stream, and i'm currently in the middle of a project where i'm building my own bluetooth speaker

Your predictions are rather low and to be honest my best students [4 x A*] avoid Oxbridge and go to a uni offering a year in industry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending