The Student Room Group

deciding between vet schools

Do anyone have any advice on deciding between edingbrugh and liverpool vet school?

I am struggling to choose which one since my choices are glasgow, bristol and rvc. I have heard that edingbrugh expect high a level predictive grades (3A*) when I am predicted 2A*2A.
As long as you meet the minimum (not sure if Edinburgh is AAA or A*AA) I don't think they will care how much you are above it, the majority of vet schools (bar Cambridge) do not give any extra points for being above in the minimum requirements and it is just a check box to move onto the next stage of admissions. Where are you from? As Glasgow and Edinburgh have a tiny number of places available for non-Scottish UK students so applying to both is not advised if you are of that criteria, so that may be something to bear in mind. I don't actually know much at all about how anything is done at Edinburgh as I never considered it so I can't give you any comparisons but I am a third year Liverpool student if you have any questions I am happy to answer. With the admissions process at Liverpool as long as you meet the minimum criteria there is no other forms beside the work experience form so everyone is invited to interview so your offer is 100% based on that, whether you like a guaranteed interview or prefer to have some other forms is up to you.
Reply 2
I am an international student and have heard the scottish unis will accept 1/3 international. From what I've heard is edingbrugh requires higher grade req at the latter stages as selection, since I know people with 1A* and 2A who didn't get in due to their predictive grade.

How is liverpool vet like? Is there a set amount of clinical and non clinical hours as rvc?

And also, I saw on the website that the email of the work experience have to be provided. If I do not have that, will that letter still be valid if I have anything else? I am unable to contact the placement due to them being really busy.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Aperson314
I am an international student and have heard the scottish unis will accept 1/3 international. From what I've heard is edingbrugh requires higher grade req at the latter stages as selection, since I know people with 1A* and 2A who didn't get in due to their grade.

How is liverpool vet like? Is there a set amount of clinical and non clinical as rvc?

Yeah I think the quotas for international students are higher so maybe applying to both would be fine. I haven't personally heard that about Edinburgh and a lot of people speculate things like that (i.e. they want higher grades than the minimum requirements) about the vet school admissions processes in general, so unless they were specifically told it is due to grades (without resits as they don't accept them) it could've been due to other things like performance in forms, interviews, not having enough work exp. But again I don't know enough about Edinburgh to say for sure so it could be the case, unless someone with experience here confirms or denies, so it is up to you whether you want to take that risk.

I find the question what a vet school is like a bit broad as there are loads of aspects and a lot are personal preference. We have 3 years in Liverpool so you are close to town, mixed with all courses so can make non-vet friends, loads to do in a lovely city etc and then we move to Leahurst in the final 2 years where it is more rural (but still not far from Liverpool) and quiet. I'd say we do less live animal handling than most other vet schools as a downside, but otherwise I can't really find many cons, we still do a lot of other practicals.

Are you referring to work experience requirements or EMS placements at vet school? I am not too clued up on the work experience requirements these days but as far as I last checked Liverpool do still require a specific number of weeks and probably do have clinical and non-clinical requirements. As for EMS placements, all vet schools have the same 12 weeks preclinical and 26 weeks clinical (although being changed to 10 weeks preclinical and 20 weeks clinical soon as far as I know) EMS requirements and only vary by what species are compulsory for how many weeks, but those are minor differences really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending