The Student Room Group

Is there such a thing as 5 A*s in AS and A levels?

So I have heard about predicted grades being A*A*A* or A*A*A*A*, but what about 5 A stars? Can you submit 5 A stars? This is for AS and A levels by the way.
Original post by acelixis
So I have heard about predicted grades being A*A*A* or A*A*A*A*, but what about 5 A stars? Can you submit 5 A stars? This is for AS and A levels by the way.

students can study between 3 to 5 A Levels, although some do more than 5. Universities only require 3 A Levels, there is no additional benefit of making your application more competitive. What I mean is: it is better to do 3 A Levels and get high grades, than do 4 A Levels with lower grades. So don't chew than more you can swallow.
From https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/infographic-a-level-results-2022/infographics-for-a-level-results-2022-accessible
For students studying A Levels in 2022
‘Number of A levels taken Number of students Percentage of students
1 /31,290 /11.3%
2 /49,765/ 18.0%
3 /181,580 /65.8%
4 /13,135/ 4.8%
5 /185 /0.1%
6 /5 /Less than 0.1%’
Students doing less than 3 A Levels are doing other level 3 equivalent qualifications, such as level 3 BTEC certificate.
Reply 2
Original post by acelixis

Yes of course. If you look at Imperial admissions statistics (there was a FOI request last year that had an Excel file with the last 5 years' detailed stats), Engineering alone gets 1-5 students each year who achieve the actual grades of 5, and some years even 6 A*.

Of course, we do not know what their predicted grades were. The offer itself is made on either 3 or 4 A levels. Last year, they made some offers at A*A*A*A* for some programmes but this is unusual.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest