The Student Room Group

Where did it all go wrong? (Straight A*s to uni dropout)

I’m really struggling, I’m at rock bottom.

Long story short did well in sixth form. Had to take a gap year due to caring responsibilities. I then studied at Imperial for a year where I got absolutely crushed… hated the course and most things about the place in general and ended up dropping out. I feel so lost.

I’m currently in my UCAS process again. This is my final time to apply to university because most have a 3-year timeframe you need to apply in after achieving your A-Levels. I’m currently taking an A-Level intensive to explore an interest in English Lit that I’ve always had and enjoying it. I don’t know why but I’m hesitant to apply. Is it my lack of confidence after dropping out once, or do I not like the course enough? I’ve considered other subjects but nothing really interests me.

I’ve explored the apprenticeship route and haven’t found anything good either.

I just don’t know where I’m headed.
Reply 1
Hi,
What did you study at Imperial and why didn’t you like it? What are you hoping to study this time round? What a levels did you do and did you enjoy them? Which Universities are you thinking of applying to?
It sounds like you’ve had a tough few years so try not to be so hard on yourself. You have a lot going for you as you have good a levels. It sounds like Imperial wasn’t the right fit for you but this doesn’t mean you are a failure. You just need to find the right fit.
Remember if you are at rock bottom the only way to go is up! Things will improve.
Reply 2
Original post by MeddygMam
Hi,
What did you study at Imperial and why didn’t you like it? What are you hoping to study this time round? What a levels did you do and did you enjoy them? Which Universities are you thinking of applying to?
It sounds like you’ve had a tough few years so try not to be so hard on yourself. You have a lot going for you as you have good a levels. It sounds like Imperial wasn’t the right fit for you but this doesn’t mean you are a failure. You just need to find the right fit.
Remember if you are at rock bottom the only way to go is up! Things will improve.

Hi thanks for ur reply I was rly down when I posted that.

I studied Physics. I chose my A-Levels out of what looked the most employable to put on my CV and then deluded myself into thinking I would enjoy taking this subject at uni. I liked the validation I got from doing well in school exams but not the subjects themselves.

right now I’m doing English lit at a college. It’s rly independent and self-led which I’m liking. Hoping to take it at uni next year. :smile:

im hoping to go abroad, or study at Edinburgh/UCL as my top choices.

You’re right abt what you said when being rock bottom. I’m just going to take one small step at a time in the right direction and hope for the best. Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending