The Student Room Group

History and Art History Joint Honours

Hi, I am currently in Year 13 and looking for places to study Art History and History as a joint honours. I am applying to University of Edinburgh, University of York, University of Manchester and University of Glasgow. I am also looking for a fifth place to apply to - I know Essex, Birmingham and SOAS London run this course, but am not sure which one to apply to. If anyone could give advice about the ones I am applying to if they have studied Art History or History that would be appreciated! Also, any recommendations about my 5th choice?? Finally, has anyone studied this course as a joint honours and if so what do you think of it and where did you study? Thanks!
Original post by em620
Hi, I am currently in Year 13 and looking for places to study Art History and History as a joint honours. I am applying to University of Edinburgh, University of York, University of Manchester and University of Glasgow. I am also looking for a fifth place to apply to - I know Essex, Birmingham and SOAS London run this course, but am not sure which one to apply to. If anyone could give advice about the ones I am applying to if they have studied Art History or History that would be appreciated! Also, any recommendations about my 5th choice?? Finally, has anyone studied this course as a joint honours and if so what do you think of it and where did you study? Thanks!

Hey!

I think its great you are looking to study Art History and History together! 🖼🎨📚

Here at Essex our course promotes awareness of the interactions and differences between history and the visual arts in history and investigates the ways in which the two disciplines can be integrated. You will study the disciplines of history and art history together in order to appreciate the relationships between them with a degree of critical awareness. In so doing, you are offered a unique approach to develop skills which are now vital in a society dominated by the visual image and visual forms of communication. Some great key points of our course are:

- Our structured programme of study trips at home and abroad takes you far afield and explores local settings
- Our Essex Collection of Art from Latin America (ESCALA) is the most comprehensive Latin American art research resource in the UK and has a state-of-the-art teaching and research space. Many of our students gain work and research experience through our collection
- Our onsite gallery Art Exchange runs an ongoing programme of contemporary art exhibitions, talks by curators and artists, and exhibitions organised by our curatorial students
- We have several Special Collections in history, including the Essex Society for Archaeology and History Library, the Harsnett Collection, the Hervey Benham Oral History Sound Archive, the Bensusan Collection, and the Colchester Medical Society Library.
- We are 3rd in the UK for research outputs in art history (Grade Point Average, REF2021). You will be taught by our expert staff in your very first year, a rarity in UK art history courses.

Take a look at our course on our website, as well as have a look at our campus on our virtual tour link! 😁🎓

If you have any questions about Essex in general I am more then happy to answer!!

Essex Official Rep - Morgan ✨😊
Reply 2
Original post by EssexOfficialRep
Hey!

I think its great you are looking to study Art History and History together! 🖼🎨📚

Here at Essex our course promotes awareness of the interactions and differences between history and the visual arts in history and investigates the ways in which the two disciplines can be integrated. You will study the disciplines of history and art history together in order to appreciate the relationships between them with a degree of critical awareness. In so doing, you are offered a unique approach to develop skills which are now vital in a society dominated by the visual image and visual forms of communication. Some great key points of our course are:

- Our structured programme of study trips at home and abroad takes you far afield and explores local settings
- Our Essex Collection of Art from Latin America (ESCALA) is the most comprehensive Latin American art research resource in the UK and has a state-of-the-art teaching and research space. Many of our students gain work and research experience through our collection
- Our onsite gallery Art Exchange runs an ongoing programme of contemporary art exhibitions, talks by curators and artists, and exhibitions organised by our curatorial students
- We have several Special Collections in history, including the Essex Society for Archaeology and History Library, the Harsnett Collection, the Hervey Benham Oral History Sound Archive, the Bensusan Collection, and the Colchester Medical Society Library.
- We are 3rd in the UK for research outputs in art history (Grade Point Average, REF2021). You will be taught by our expert staff in your very first year, a rarity in UK art history courses.

Take a look at our course on our website, as well as have a look at our campus on our virtual tour link! 😁🎓

If you have any questions about Essex in general I am more then happy to answer!!

Essex Official Rep - Morgan ✨😊

Thank you so much for your response, Essex sounds great! :smile:
Original post by em620
Thank you so much for your response, Essex sounds great! :smile:

If you have any other questions at all please let me know!! 😊🎓

Essex Official Rep - Morgan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending