The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Changing degree before university

Will i be able to go from a dual degree to a single honours? I recently received an unconditional from strathclyde for a dual degree, but now ive had a change of heart and just want to study one of the subjects in the dual degree. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Will i be able to go from a dual degree to a single honours? I recently received an unconditional from strathclyde for a dual degree, but now ive had a change of heart and just want to study one of the subjects in the dual degree. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Hello! Congrats on your offer! 🙂 Which degree have you been offered and what would you like to switch to?

The answer is it generally depends. Lots of our degrees have very flexible structures which mean you're studying a broad range of subjects in first year anyway within the same faculty, before you pick if you want to do a joint/single honours after a couple of years. So it's likely you'd keep one or two other subjects alongside your 'favourite' in 1st/2nd yr initially but that you could change once you get through your degree. Lots of our degrees are really flexible so I don't imagine this would be a big issue but let me know what your offers are for and I can advise! 📚️

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde

Hello! Congrats on your offer! 🙂 Which degree have you been offered and what would you like to switch to?

The answer is it generally depends. Lots of our degrees have very flexible structures which mean you're studying a broad range of subjects in first year anyway within the same faculty, before you pick if you want to do a joint/single honours after a couple of years. So it's likely you'd keep one or two other subjects alongside your 'favourite' in 1st/2nd yr initially but that you could change once you get through your degree. Lots of our degrees are really flexible so I don't imagine this would be a big issue but let me know what your offers are for and I can advise! 📚️

Caitlin 🎓️

Hi, thanks for replying. My offer is for History and Economic.

Hello! What subject do you no longer wish to do? The course sits within the Humanities and Social Sciences faculty so you'll have flexibility to change within that faculty (you'll do three subjects in 1st year before you pick two in 2nd year) but not within Business (where Economics is taught) 🙂 Ultimately yes with that degree, you will be able to do a single honours degree in History.

Caitlin 🎓️
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde

Hello! What subject do you no longer wish to do? The course sits within the Humanities and Social Sciences faculty so you'll have flexibility to change within that faculty (you'll do three subjects in 1st year before you pick two in 2nd year) but not within Business (where Economics is taught) 🙂 Ultimately yes with that degree, you will be able to do a single honours degree in History.

Caitlin 🎓️

Will I only be able to do a single honours in history and not economics?
Will I only be able to do a single honours in history and not economics?

Hi! 🙂 You study three subjects in first year, then two subjects in second year. After second year you can decide if you want to do the single hons in History or combine it with something else (one of the other subjects you've started). You could also do a single honours in one of the other subjects you'd picked up (e.g. Psychology/English) if you wanted to. There's a handy video on the course page here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/humanities/undergraduate/ which explains the course structure.

You couldn't switch to a single honours in Economics given the course applied for is within the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. Admissions for the BA Economics course sits within the Business School - [email protected]

Caitlin 🎓️

When did you receive your offer? History and Economics is my 5th choice but my personal statement is aimed at Finance.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous5767

When did you receive your offer? History and Economics is my 5th choice but my personal statement is aimed at Finance.

a few weeks ago

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending