The Student Room Group

Further Mathematics for History and Economics

I am considering applying for pure History at Oxford+LSE then for History and Economics at Manchester, Leeds and Queen Mary. Currently I enjoy maths the least and am pondering dropping Further Maths in favour of just taking the AS course. How much of a detriment would no FM be for my application? And do people know if any of these universities are particularly picky about FM?
I think that would be a good idea as taking a subject you don't enjoy isn't beneficial in the least especially as for History and Economics, just maths would do you just fine.
For any joint degree in History and Economics, not having Further Maths is perfectly fine.
As above, not an issue normally for that kind of joint honours degree.

However, if you don't enjoy maths, why are you considering a joint honours degree in economics and anything? Economics at degree level is necessarily mathematical - it's not an essay based subject (on the whole), unlike at A-level.

I'd say just drop FM entirely, and apply directly to history degrees (and/or economic history, if that floats your boat - as that's not the same as economics and is pretty non-mathematical).
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
As above, not an issue normally for that kind of joint honours degree.

However, if you don't enjoy maths, why are you considering a joint honours degree in economics and anything? Economics at degree level is necessarily mathematical - it's not an essay based subject (on the whole), unlike at A-level.

I'd say just drop FM entirely, and apply directly to history degrees (and/or economic history, if that floats your boat - as that's not the same as economics and is pretty non-mathematical).

My rationale is that most History and Economics courses have less compulsory maths sections in the economics side and thus it wouldn't be too bad. Maths in Economics is also not really the same as studying straight maths and I can still achieve highly maths its just no what I prefer. Moreover, whilst a lot of degree level economics relies more on maths its not really the case that further study in the area has to be maths or that the degree focuses on maths. I wouldn't take any econometrics modules or similar and the debate/analysis side of economics is what I'm passionate about.
Original post by th0r_2
My rationale is that most History and Economics courses have less compulsory maths sections in the economics side and thus it wouldn't be too bad. Maths in Economics is also not really the same as studying straight maths and I can still achieve highly maths its just no what I prefer. Moreover, whilst a lot of degree level economics relies more on maths its not really the case that further study in the area has to be maths or that the degree focuses on maths. I wouldn't take any econometrics modules or similar and the debate/analysis side of economics is what I'm passionate about.

The maths in economics is still the same kind of maths you do in A-level. Lots of calculus, algebra, etc.

The "debate" side of economics is not what you do in degree level economics. If it's the conceptual side you're interested in you would get plenty of that by just doing history and focusing on economic history topics if you are interested in that.

I really don't think based on what you've said that economics at degree level is really what you are looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest