The Student Room Group

Should I drop epq?

Im currently in yr12 doing an epq but im kinda struggling with it and thinking of dropping it but im not sure about it yet. Im wondering if it will boost my application a bit and possibly increase my application as I have average gcses (4s-6s) and if I still have a good chance in getting in as they are quite low? I want to study law in kcl btw. :smile:
Original post by susby
Im currently in yr12 doing an epq but im kinda struggling with it and thinking of dropping it but im not sure about it yet. Im wondering if it will boost my application a bit and possibly increase my application as I have average gcses (4s-6s) and if I still have a good chance in getting in as they are quite low? I want to study law in kcl btw. :smile:

Hi there

I think an EPQ can be quite a good way to demonstrate your interest in law. (It may also contribute to your final UCAT score, which could boost your application).

What are the reasons you are struggling with the EPQ? Is it time management with other subjects, struggling with the content of the EPQ? or other aspects?

I think it is important to consider the grades of your A level subjects. For a law degree, the higher your grades, the better chances of getting into a precious law school. So if the EPQ is significantly affecting your grades, you may like to consider whether to spend more time on your A level subjects.

Another important aspect of University applications would be your personal statement- do you have other ways of evidencing your interest in law. I find that any relevant work experience can be really beneficial. Alternatively, any extra readings or research that you have done can be used to evidence your interest in law. An EPQ is useful as it demonstrates your ability in research, independent research, organisation skills, etc. which are skills that will be useful in a University environment. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by susby

Hi susby
Reply 3
Original post by susby

Hi susby
Reply 4
Original post by susby

I completed my Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) at a quantum computing technology company, which was immensely beneficial. The company assigned students to an expert who guided us step-by-step through our research projects, with the goal of eventually publishing our work. This experience undoubtedly paved the way for admissions to top universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending