The Student Room Group

LPC Fail.

Afternoon,

I have had an absolute nightmare of completing the LPC and really thinking of starting the SQE. However, I wonder if anyone has knowledge of what law firms might think.

To start positively, I have passed all my practical exams first time with no issues, found them so much fun and glad to have got through that stage. Also passing my business extra elective first time.

However, my written exams core, wills, solicitors accounts and electives have been fails. I have retaken them all and only passed 2, some were award additional first attempt as I’m an epileptic and have had issues with that along the way. I have also had my exam papers back and gone through them with tutors, but still not a full success.

I am finding myself more mentally drained by not being able to pass the exams in one go, I did mocks and did some sample papers, which were passed as marked by specific tutors. Therefore, I’m at a total loss with the course, I’ve had advice that taking the SQE may be a better choice to passing the course and finally get through to gaining some work experience.

The situation is stopping me from getting into any VAC or TC opportunities. It’s becoming a negative cycle and starting to feel that I’m not smart enough. I am not one to give up, but maybe a fresh start is something needed and I don’t know how law firms will react to this decision.

Plus, I’m really conscious of my age, I’ll be 28 the time I qualify now, so I feel like I am falling behind most qualified solicitors.

If anyone had advice or willing to share their opinions I am open to hearing.
I think the LPC and SQE both have about a 50% failure rate. SQE 1 is closed book and multiple choice. I don't know if you would find that easier or the other way round. Usually with the SQE a recent commissioned study found people with firsts in their first degree do best, then 2/1s and then 2/2s so perhaps have a look at your degree result and A level grades to see if you will be able to pass the LPC or SQE or if doing something else might be better. If you are quite good at learning things and doing exams without any open book then the SQE might suit you.
Original post by Jeanette97
Afternoon,

I have had an absolute nightmare of completing the LPC and really thinking of starting the SQE. However, I wonder if anyone has knowledge of what law firms might think.

To start positively, I have passed all my practical exams first time with no issues, found them so much fun and glad to have got through that stage. Also passing my business extra elective first time.

However, my written exams core, wills, solicitors accounts and electives have been fails. I have retaken them all and only passed 2, some were award additional first attempt as I’m an epileptic and have had issues with that along the way. I have also had my exam papers back and gone through them with tutors, but still not a full success.

I am finding myself more mentally drained by not being able to pass the exams in one go, I did mocks and did some sample papers, which were passed as marked by specific tutors. Therefore, I’m at a total loss with the course, I’ve had advice that taking the SQE may be a better choice to passing the course and finally get through to gaining some work experience.

The situation is stopping me from getting into any VAC or TC opportunities. It’s becoming a negative cycle and starting to feel that I’m not smart enough. I am not one to give up, but maybe a fresh start is something needed and I don’t know how law firms will react to this decision.

Plus, I’m really conscious of my age, I’ll be 28 the time I qualify now, so I feel like I am falling behind most qualified solicitors.

If anyone had advice or willing to share their opinions I am open to hearing.

Hey can I just ask what you done to pass all your core CPAs I have mine in less than 2 weeks and I do not understand property law at all. I’m slightly struggling with business too. I don’t know what people do to do so well because I am so confused
Reply 3
Hey - are you doing your LPC at BPP? I am more than happy to assist you with any of the modules! I recently finished the LPC.

As to your age, this is not something to worry about at all as no one cares once you start your TC. I have just started my TC and will qualify at 32!
Original post by username6654982
Hey can I just ask what you done to pass all your core CPAs I have mine in less than 2 weeks and I do not understand property law at all. I’m slightly struggling with business too. I don’t know what people do to do so well because I am so confused
Same havent prepared for BLP at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending