The Student Room Group

Where do you find jobs to apply to?

So my course is in Maths with Computer Science and I'm in my final year so I'm looking to start applying for graduate jobs. I've had a look on GradCracker and TargetJobs but there only seem to be a handful of relevant jobs that are reasonably close (I'm from Kent).

Where are the best places to find jobs to apply to? And when is the deadline to apply for most graduate jobs?
Reply 1
Original post by alavni
So my course is in Maths with Computer Science and I'm in my final year so I'm looking to start applying for graduate jobs. I've had a look on GradCracker and TargetJobs but there only seem to be a handful of relevant jobs that are reasonably close (I'm from Kent).

Where are the best places to find jobs to apply to? And when is the deadline to apply for most graduate jobs?

Many companies only open graduate roles between September to December, but generally you can still find many graduate roles all year round.

You should use your university careers website, LinkedIn, recruitment agencies and Google.
Reply 2
Original post by alavni

I know people have their reasons, but generally I'd suggest to be open for relocating if having a good career is one of your top priorities. You're limiting your opportunities by a huge amount just by not being able to relocate. Besides, Kent is not that far away from London, I'd expect some degree of flexible work arrangement possible for computer science placements (say 2 days in the office, 3 wfh, etc.).
I'd stay away from London though, not many grad jobs will pay enough to live there.

As I said, I understand people have their reasons to stay close to home, so I'd suggest researching the companies of your interest and see if there are any branches or offices near where you live and then apply directly. If they don't have any positions open - send them an email or give them a call and say you're looking for grad opportunities and ask if you can have a chat with someone to review your CV, something along those lines.

With regards to the deadlines, most opportunities are expected to be filled by December-January. Normal timeline is: Sep-Oct the job is posted, applicants are getting screened, interviews in Nov-Dec, job offers ~January. But there are more hiring waves coming, so keep looking, you never know what may come up.

All the best,
Al
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending