The Student Room Group

Job at Uni

So I'm moving to Uni within the coming weeks and I had to switch jobs to a new job in the time between finishing college to starting uni, and it may appear that I can't transfer easily, or at all - which isn't ideal as in my head I suspect it will be hard to get a job due to many other students also applying for jobs in the city, is this true? And further yet, anyone have any advice at all?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Deccyboy
So I'm moving to Uni within the coming weeks and I had to switch jobs to a new job in the time between finishing college to starting uni, and it may appear that I can't transfer easily, or at all - which isn't ideal as in my head I suspect it will be hard to get a job due to many other students also applying for jobs in the city, is this true? And further yet, anyone have any advice at all?

Thanks in advance

Hi @Deccyboy, hope you're doing okay. So sorry that could be the case job wise however I'd say not to stress so much. I am a student at University of Lincoln starting my second job and yes it might take some patience when it comes to finding a job at city where there is a lot of students however do not give up and keep applying to many different jobs, someone eventually would get back to you. I'd also advise to try and see if your university has campus jobs available(they are usually flexible due to the fact that students are being employed) this could include such as student ambassador, maybe even catering in different university sites or working at some shops which is what I am working for currently.Sometimes it is a bit hard to find a job turing when the term has started as from May that's when a lot of job vaccancies are open and if you do not find anything throughout the year always try and look when summer starts as a lot of jobs are available at that time. I am sure you will find something eventually and do not stress as there are so many students dealing with job issues. If it makes you feel any better it took me my whole first year to find something, so do not stress it will all work out.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions,
Laura :smile:

Thanks in advance

Hi there,
First of all, congratulations on starting uni. If you are unable to transfer but would still like to find a part time job, it is possible. I'd highly recommend looking at seasonal or temporary vacancies, either through an agency or your university as these can be easy to fit around your studies. It may be that there are lots of students applying for jobs but if you are confident in the transferable skills you have from your previous job, you should be able to get an interview. Your uni careers service may be able to help as well.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Thanks in advance

Hey there @Deccyboy !

I didn't get a job in first year and only started looking in my second. I said to myself preferably I wouldn't want to work in hospitality, just purely because I had been in that industry my whole working life and didn't enjoy it. I started looking for jobs around November time and honestly couldn't find anything. Most jobs want you to commit to working the busy periods during December such as Boxing Day and I would be travelling back by train so this wouldn't be possible unless I spent Christmas Day without my family which just wasn't an option for me.

They say the best time to search for jobs is in August/September and December/January. They also say April is a good time to look for a job. All of these months are busy periods for the retail and hospitality industry due to school holidays and other students leaving jobs. I couldn't find a job in my second year until the end of January and that was purely because I decided I'd have to go into hospitality because retail wasn't working out (even though I have two sets of experience in that industry). I ended up working as a bartender and only a couple of weeks in I decided I really liked it. I got this job by applying on Indeed and through my university's jobs platform which helped to see which jobs were available for students and which jobs were looking to take on students in particular.

To answer your question, yes it is a lot more difficult to find a job at university but the only way I found one is regularly persisting even when I was getting rejected. I'd literally apply for anything and everything until something stuck. This might be different for others as every experience is different. For me personally it was quite difficult and I do have a fair bit of experience. It might be worth applying for roles outside the city centre with good transport links and commuting to your job. That's what I did and it seemed to work out. Just apply for things early, even if you're not there yet get applying and say you can't start until September or whenever you move to uni. The easiest jobs I've seen to get is working behind a bar at a nightclub. These jobs seem to always be advertising, especially on student nights.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

Firstly, good luck with moving to uni! This is such an exciting time and I'm sure that you will love it. I've done a number of different jobs and it varies depending on time of the year for how easy/hard it is to find a new job. In my experience, September is quite good. I'd recommend checking what services your uni/ student union have to help you find a student job. I've found flexible well paid work in Cardiff's student union before as well as through there flexible job platform.

I hope that you find something you're happy with!

All the best :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Thanks in advance

It totally depends on where you're going. There are usually lots of jobs going at the start of term but again it depends on if you're moving to a large city where there may be more available or a smaller town. Either way I'd encourage you to also look into student ambassador work as its more flexible and you can represent your university and course on a schedule that suits you, you can choose the assignments that you cover and it also looks good on your CV.
Hope everything goes well with your move!

Thanks in advance

Hi,
I understand why you'd be concerned, especially given, as you said that many students would start usually looking for jobs around about the same time. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that it'll make you less likely to get a job.
This is down to the fact that you have been employed before, and if you are able to transfer that onto your resume, you'd stand out against all the participants, and could find that you land a job easier than you'd think.
My advice would be, start looking early. Don't leave it until the last minute to look, I'd say maybe start the job hunt when you're a few days away from moving. This way you won't be applying during their peak of applications!

I hope this helps and/or puts your kind at ease.
Kind regards,
Courtney H

Thanks in advance

Hi @Deccyboy,

Congratulations on getting into university, sorry about you being unable to transfer your job.

Where I am for university it isn't a city it is a little town called Ormskirk, I haven't got a job within Ormskirk or the surrounding area and instead work for the university on open days or speaking to prospective students. I found this an ideal job as most of the time it suits around your studies and you can have some control around when you can work. Which I find really good when it is coming up to big assessment deadlines.

For these kind of jobs (ones for the uni - student union bar, open or taster days and any other vendors such as for our university we have a shop on site and a subway as well where students can work) I found September/October are the best times to apply for these and when they become available.

My university also has a careers portal that has any jobs within Ormskirk or the surrounding area and one's available to current students for helping out at university. However, this can only be accessed when you are a student however you would still be able to look at some of the stuff on the university about jobs.

I would recommend looking at the university website for what you wish to go to and look on there about the available jobs and I would also suggest meeting with the careers team if you are struggling with hearing from any employers you have applied at as they can look at your CV and give some improvements.

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

you will most likely find that your own university have job opportunities for their students. These can include working at the uni bar, ambassadoring for the uni and working within the SU. No one I know has found it difficult to get a job at uni. There are always places like McDonald’s etc hiring.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
uni of Sunderland
digital ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending