The Student Room Group

How do i get a part-time job?

People around me having getting part-time jobs and earning money since Year 11 in my town.

I am now 20 and still never applied to one because of a health issue. Now that i am better health, I want a job. I have no clue where to look, who to ask or what to bring (a CV and ID - i'm guessing).
Most companies post their jobs on their websites and job boards such as Indeed and you apply online, although some places (particularly smaller businesses) you may need to hand your CV into directly.

When attending an interview, you should bring proof of right to work (such as your birth certificate and a letter with your NI Number or passport): https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-work
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
People around me having getting part-time jobs and earning money since Year 11 in my town.

I am now 20 and still never applied to one because of a health issue. Now that i am better health, I want a job. I have no clue where to look, who to ask or what to bring (a CV and ID - i'm guessing).

What sort of job are you looking for? Considering your health issues, you might be limited in the sort of work you can do.
Original post by MindMax2000
What sort of job are you looking for? Considering your health issues, you might be limited in the sort of work you can do.

i have asthma.

Something involving a fast food chain or an admin job.
i have asthma.

Something involving a fast food chain or an admin job.

Not sure why you want to work in a fast food chain, but usually to get these jobs you either:

Go to the specific restaurant and apply directly - since the chains are usually franchises, you will need to apply to multiple of them to get individual responses from individual restaurants even if they are part of the same chain; or

You network your way in e.g. have a friend who can help put in a recommendation for you so long you submit an application to the restaurant he/she works at

It's rare to be able to find such a job online where you can apply and expact an answer.
I would try to be as flexible with your hours as you can when you mention your availability.

For admin jobs, you're typically looking for someone with experience, and there's usually more competition than the work at fast food chains, even if the work in fast food chains pay more with longer hours. The job isn't demanding, so having a long list of qualifications would not exactly help.
I would prioritise networking your way in, but it won't hurt if you have a certificate in office applications to show to the employers e.g. MOS or ICDL (personal preference would be MOS, but even that's overkill).
Original post by MindMax2000
Not sure why you want to work in a fast food chain, but usually to get these jobs you either:

Go to the specific restaurant and apply directly - since the chains are usually franchises, you will need to apply to multiple of them to get individual responses from individual restaurants even if they are part of the same chain; or

You network your way in e.g. have a friend who can help put in a recommendation for you so long you submit an application to the restaurant he/she works at

It's rare to be able to find such a job online where you can apply and expact an answer.
I would try to be as flexible with your hours as you can when you mention your availability.

For admin jobs, you're typically looking for someone with experience, and there's usually more competition than the work at fast food chains, even if the work in fast food chains pay more with longer hours. The job isn't demanding, so having a long list of qualifications would not exactly help.
I would prioritise networking your way in, but it won't hurt if you have a certificate in office applications to show to the employers e.g. MOS or ICDL (personal preference would be MOS, but even that's overkill).

Thank you for such a comprehensive advice.

I'm new to this so could you explain what networking is?
Thank you for such a comprehensive advice.

I'm new to this so could you explain what networking is?

Networking in the most general sense for HR purposes is about meeting people and seeing how you can help them professionally. In a crude way, it's like helping people in matchmaking between the employer and a potential employee/business service/contractor. e.g. I know of someone who might be what you need + recommend the person suitable for what the employer/business is looking for.

It's an art form and you can't do it "willy-nilly". I am not the best person to give advice on this, but it's not difficult to find appropriate information on this e.g. https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/careers-advice/networking
https://www.helpguide.org/articles/relationships-communication/job-networking-tips.htm
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2021/08/12/how-to-land-a-job-through-networking/
https://resources.biginterview.com/job-search/network-for-a-job/
https://careers.myworldofwork.co.uk/career-advice/growing-and-using-your-network/how-to-get-a-job-through-networking
I will leave you to google the rest.

If you live in a local area/been to a certain college/went to a certain school, it's usually not particularly hard to find friends who went into fast food service or admin or are still there. You mentioned that "people around me having getting part-time jobs and earning money since Year 11 in my town," so should I take it that you know people who work in the fast food service or in admin? If so, why don't you reach out and catch up on where you both are. If they can help you get a word in the places you're looking to work at, then it all helps.
Reply 7
I found my part-time job in year12, when the job opportunity was recommended to the youth council I'm part of.

Joining a similar youth group in order to get a job might lead to disappointment, but any medium to get shortlisted is useful.

That said, it was rather competitive and only 10 spaces were offered to 50+ applicants.

Look on websites such as indeed.com. Theres quite a few jobs on there.
Also look on companies own websites. Some companies (e.g. mcdonalds, tesco etc etc) have their jobs on the careers section of their website.
Some places (especially smaller places/restaurants/cafes etc) sometimes have adverts in their windows. And it will say on the advert how to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending