The Student Room Group

Are you a student or a soon-to-be student looking for a part-time job?

Most students have a part-time job, whether they need it for extra cash or to build their CV.

Speaking of CVs! You need to have one in order to apply for most jobs out there. So where do you start? What if I have never had a job before, what sort of things do I put on a CV.

If you are in sixth form and you are applying for your first job you can include:

What are you doing at the moment? What A Levels/BTEC are you studying? What skills does studying these courses give you?

Include any achievements like NCS or DofE. If you play an instrument and have achieved certificates include those.

Include any extracurricular activities such as volunteering your time as a Cadet for a particular organisation or if you play a sport. These are great things to have done to demonstrate skills such as teamwork, commitment, and resilience.

If you have completed any work experience, definitely include that and emphasise what skills you developed during your work experience.

Finally, it needs to look good. Ask older family members what their CV template looks like to get some ideas.

Next, you need to apply for some jobs. Where can you find those?

Online. Probably the best place for seeing a wide range of jobs in all sorts of industries.

Careers fairs. Many schools and universities will host career fairs. This is a place where many companies and organisations come together to advertise and promote themselves to individuals who are interested in work. Look out for these events!

Directly. If you know where you want to work you can approach them directly and give them your CV. Although they may not be hiring at that specific point they will sometimes keep your CV for future reference.

LinkedIn. Be part of the future and create a LinkedIn account. This is a great way to search for jobs and create an online network with other professionals. For those who have experience already this is a great way to create an online ‘CV’ to showcase your skills to employers.

If you have any questions or any other tips you can add please respond to this thread:smile:

I would love to hear them!

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending