The Student Room Group

How to quit a job?

I know this is a stupid question but I have never actually quit a job before, I'm currently working a part-time job but it is not enough, I need a full time job. Do I just continue applying for full time jobs until I get one? What happens then? Do I just say to my manager that I'm leaving because I have found a different job?

Do I need to write and give him a letter? I know in my contract it says I need to give 2 weeks notice so what to I say to the new job I get because obviously I can't start right away, I just say that I can start in 2 weeks time?

I know I'm overthinking things I just find it all so stressful. I have bad anxiety too which does not help. I keep on putting off seriously looking for a new job because of this but I know the sooner I do it the better.

Just any advice and guidance someone could give would be helpful.
Original post by tacticalwater
I know this is a stupid question but I have never actually quit a job before, I'm currently working a part-time job but it is not enough, I need a full time job. Do I just continue applying for full time jobs until I get one? What happens then? Do I just say to my manager that I'm leaving because I have found a different job?

Do I need to write and give him a letter? I know in my contract it says I need to give 2 weeks notice so what to I say to the new job I get because obviously I can't start right away, I just say that I can start in 2 weeks time?

I know I'm overthinking things I just find it all so stressful. I have bad anxiety too which does not help. I keep on putting off seriously looking for a new job because of this but I know the sooner I do it the better.

Hi there,

Firstly, you're not alone with these thoughts and feelings, so don't put yourself down! We've all been where you are and it can be quite stressful.

It's worth acknowledging that you are allowed to apply for jobs and have interviews whilst still being employed somewhere, unless it says specifically that you can't for 'conflict of interest' reasons in your contract - even then this covers specifically employment and not interviews. So you can apply for full-time jobs, you're well within your rights to want to develop yourself professionally.

People usually apply for another job, go through the interview stage and at the point where they're successful and get asked when they can start, this is when you would bring up with your new employer the notice period for your previous job. They will then issue a contract to you which will start on a date you've discussed with them. Once you have that contract with the other place then it's just a case of emailing a letter to your current employer explaining you are handing in your notice, including the end date. You can find many templates for this online and it doesn't have to be flashy! If you've worked at this place for a while it might be nice to mention the opportunity has been great and you've enjoyed working for them during your time.

Some companies waive the notice period, so it might be worth inquiring in person about this as well, as your employer will have to respond with a 'resignation acceptance letter' of some variety.

I hope this helps and wish you the best in your job searching!

Ethan
Original post by tacticalwater

You are perfectly allowed to apply somewhere whilst you currently have a job. Apply for whatever/however many jobs you like.
Most employers have a notice period. Like you have said yours is 2 weeks. And most employers know when taking on staff that most employees will need to give some sort of notice when leaving their old job. Most employers expect you to have to give anything up to 4 weeks notice to your current job.
Notice periods will sometimes be discussed at interview, or sometimes the hiring person will discuss this when you get offered a job. Once offered a job, a start date will be agreed (in like with whatever notice period you have to give at your old place) and you will get your contract etc.
When you give your notice in at your old job, you write/type a letter to your manager explaining that you are handing in your notice and are leaving, your last day will be X date etc. There are plenty of templates online. It doesnt have to be flash. Give the letter into your manager. You could always email it if you wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending