The Student Room Group

difficulty finding a job?

I’ve been looking for a job for close to 2 years now and I just can’t seem to get anything with rejections upon rejections, I’m at an age where everyone around me is working but I’m not. Any tips

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Boost
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve been looking for a job for close to 2 years now and I just can’t seem to get anything with rejections upon rejections, I’m at an age where everyone around me is working but I’m not. Any tips
What kind of job were you applying for?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
What kind of job were you applying for?

I’m looking for retail, fast food anything like that tbh, which I cant even seem to secure
Reply 4
Have you had your basic CV reviewed? Do you tailor it for every application?

Do you get interviews?

Have you had any feedback on your rejections?
Original post by Surnia

Do you get interviews?

Interviews are soo hard to master. It just gets awkward and they barely ask me any questions. It happened on 3 occasions wth
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia

Do you get interviews?

I’ve had it read by lots of people but not professionals from what I remember, I did have a few interviews in the last year but none of them have led to a job however there was an instance where I was chosen but then the offer was taken back. I emailed for feedback but didn’t receive any.
Reply 7
I’ve had it read by lots of people but not professionals from what I remember, I did have a few interviews in the last year but none of them have led to a job however there was an instance where I was chosen but then the offer was taken back. I emailed for feedback but didn’t receive any.
Then do some self-analysis. What do you think is stopping you getting a job? Have you struggled to match requirements? How do you feel you performed at interview?
Reply 8
Original post by Surnia
Then do some self-analysis. What do you think is stopping you getting a job? Have you struggled to match requirements? How do you feel you performed at interview?

That’s the issue.. I’m not entirely sure what’s stopping me, but I would appreciate some tips to give me a competitive advantage and set me apart from people who have consistently landed retail jobs?
If you are a Universal Credit claimant, your Work Coach will be able to refer you to employability organisations who can review your CV, arrange work placements, guaranteed job interviews, training and vocational qualifications.

You may also be able to directly self refer yourself.

Lookinto becoming a volunteer.
Have you tried looking at volunteering?
Hey I know how u feel cos m unemployed too and just get rejected too and my interviews never go well for me either do u have any qualifications and experience??
Original post by Anonymous #3
If you are a Universal Credit claimant, your Work Coach will be able to refer you to employability organisations who can review your CV, arrange work placements, guaranteed job interviews, training and vocational qualifications.

You may also be able to directly self refer yourself.

Lookinto becoming a volunteer.

I have some volunteering experience, idk what else to do
Original post by cherlloydfan1
Hey I know how u feel cos m unemployed too and just get rejected too and my interviews never go well for me either do u have any qualifications and experience??

Just volunteering experience
Reply 14
I have some volunteering experience, idk what else to do
Engage with an employability organisation such as People Plus or similar, if you meet the criteria.

You need strong support at this stage because you have not found employment after a lengthy period of time.
I am at the point where I graduate this year, but I have no idea where to apply for job or how to create my CV for a job, I've been working before, but it was more of a part-time and short job. Can you give any advice for the CV and also a good site to find a job?
Reply 16
Original post by CarterHardy
I am at the point where I graduate this year, but I have no idea where to apply for job or how to create my CV for a job, I've been working before, but it was more of a part-time and short job. Can you give any advice for the CV and also a good site to find a job?
Use the careers service at your university and the resouces there that are aimed at graduates.

Is it the case that many companies that operate graduate recruitment schemes would have already recruited their intakes before final exams?
Original post by Compyjo
Use the careers service at your university and the resouces there that are aimed at graduates.

Is it the case that many companies that operate graduate recruitment schemes would have already recruited their intakes before final exams?
I don't know about this, but I will check, another problem is that companies usually offer such jobs that are paid low and they can't find anyone else except for students.
Reply 18
Original post by CarterHardy
I don't know about this, but I will check, another problem is that companies usually offer such jobs that are paid low and they can't find anyone else except for students.
I would expect a young graduate to have sufficient digital and research skills to be able to source information about how to produce a CV, find job vacancies and how to apply for them. There is heaps of online advice and guidance, plus books in libraries, on these topics.

Are you looking for a particular type of job or career and are you targeting graduate level roles?

When I was at University, there was masses of information about graduate recruitment directed towards students - recruitment events and job fairs, vacancy lists, workshops, skills sessions, presentations, the services offered by the Careers service, etc.
I don't have anything like this at my university, of course I am targeting graduate level jobs, and am looking for a job relevant to my studies. I've been studying for business and economics so I was expected to get job offer from financial or banking companies, but in reality I am offered to work only as a an accountant at a local shop, and it's the best offer so far. There are indeed many offers for people from other faculties, but in my case it's a huge problem. I know how to write a CV and even had the opportunity to have some experience in this field.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending