The Student Room Group

chemistry amount of substance aqa alevel question

Which amount of sodium hydroxide would react exactly with 7.5 g of a diprotic acid, H2A (Mr = 150)?
A 50 cm3 of 0.05 mol dm–3 NaOH(aq)
B 100 cm3 of 0.50 mol dm–3 NaOH(aq)
C 100 cm3 of 1.0 mol dm–3 NaOH(aq)
D 100 cm3 of 2.0 mol dm–3 NaOH(aq)

answer is c
Original post by ricecakes1
Which amount of sodium hydroxide would react exactly with 7.5 g of a diprotic acid, H2A (Mr = 150)?
A 50 cm3 of 0.05 mol dm–3 NaOH(aq)
B 100 cm3 of 0.50 mol dm–3 NaOH(aq)
C 100 cm3 of 1.0 mol dm–3 NaOH(aq)
D 100 cm3 of 2.0 mol dm–3 NaOH(aq)

answer is c

Have you tried writing an equation for the reaction of NaOH and H2A?
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
Have you tried writing an equation for the reaction of NaOH and H2A?

nope, i didn't know u had to do that in order to answer the q. now that u mentioned it, i dont know how to write it though
Reply 3
Original post by ricecakes1
nope, i didn't know u had to do that in order to answer the q. now that u mentioned it, i dont know how to write it though

A diprotic acid is one that donates 2 protons (H+ ions) to the base. As TypicalNerd mentioned above, you can write this down as H2A (as you do not know what type of acid it is).

Now remember, acid + base = salt + water

So, NaOH + H2A => NaA + H2O

Can you try balancing this equation now?
Original post by qwert7890
A diprotic acid is one that donates 2 protons (H+ ions) to the base. As TypicalNerd mentioned above, you can write this down as H2A (as you do not know what type of acid it is).

The salt should be Na2A, as the acid is diprotic, but you have the right idea nonetheless.
Reply 5
Original post by qwert7890

ohhh yes i get it balanced will be H2A + 2NaOH Na2A + 2H2O and then u find the moles for NaOH and then see which matches up w/ the options given. thank u sm!

Quick Reply

Latest