The Student Room Group

SOAS / London unis

Hi guys,
I am looking to apply for foundation years in the finance / economics field. I was previously set on applying to Birkbeck and fell in love with the area surrounding it, but due to a major change of circumstances I don’t think Birkbeck is right for me anymore.
However, I still really want to apply to unis in London. My problem is the fact I want to do a foundation course and my grades are definitely not good enough for anywhere I would ideally want to apply like Kings or LSE. 😭😭😭
I was planning on applying to SOAS foundation year and then progressing onto their Economics course but I also don’t think SOAS is right for me. 🫣 I have also seen a lot of slander about them recently
Can you guys help me weigh out my options? I’m trying to make the best out of my extenuating circumstances lol. I would want to apply to city but my grades are probably going to be about BCD. (Eng lang, chemistry, physics, not good subjects for finance I know)
Aside from London I have been looking at Leeds (definitely applying), Surrey and Durham (not likely to apply)
Resitting is not an option for me as to cut it short I am getting kicked out when I finish this school year.
(edited 5 months ago)
Hey!
I know this is going to sound harsh, but if your predicted grades aren't good enough to apply to a particular uni, don't apply. The rejections will only decrease your self-confidence and make you feel worse in the long run.

Anyways, in your circumstances, there's lots of other options, which I've listed below:

1) Firstly, if you're looking for a degree in London, then maybe checking out some of the non-Russel Group unis would be a good start. The University of East London does a degree in economics with a foundation year. This course needs 64 UCAS tariff points to get in (3 A levels at BCD gives you 96), so you definitely have the grades to get in to that: https://uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/bsc-hons-economics . As a uni, it has a very mixed review student satisfaction wise, but honestly, this is the same for basically every university. I'd recommend going to an open day and talking to people to see what you think.
2) There's also a similar course at Roehampton University with the same entry requirements for a foundation year if you don't like East London: https://www.roehampton.ac.uk/undergraduate-courses/economics/
3) However, you could also try the apprenticeship route. The Level 4 Development Program run by the Bank of England needs only 72 UCAS points to get in: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/careers/early-careers/our-programmes

There are other options but these are definitely three good ones worth looking at :smile:
Original post by vsepr902
Hi guys,
I am looking to apply for foundation years in the finance / economics field. I was previously set on applying to Birkbeck and fell in love with the area surrounding it, but due to a major change of circumstances I don’t think Birkbeck is right for me anymore.
However, I still really want to apply to unis in London. My problem is the fact I want to do a foundation course and my grades are definitely not good enough for anywhere I would ideally want to apply like Kings or LSE. 😭😭😭
I was planning on applying to SOAS foundation year and then progressing onto their Economics course but I also don’t think SOAS is right for me. 🫣 I have also seen a lot of slander about them recently
Can you guys help me weigh out my options? I’m trying to make the best out of my extenuating circumstances lol. I would want to apply to city but my grades are probably going to be about BCD. (Eng lang, chemistry, physics, not good subjects for finance I know)
Aside from London I have been looking at Leeds (definitely applying), Surrey and Durham (not likely to apply)
Resitting is not an option for me as to cut it short I am getting kicked out when I finish this school year.

Hi there!

I'm glad to hear you're considering applying to Surrey :smile:

Just to add to @bananasplit20 's comment (much love for apprenticeships), I actually transferred to Surrey after successfully completing my foundation year somewhere else. That's just to say that where you first start at doesn't need to be your final choice, as there are many universities that have processes in place to accept transfers.

I did very well in my foundation year and, upon contacting the Admissions team at Surrey and explaining my specific situation, they came back to me with a set of requirements for acceptance (grades), and told me to apply as usual via UCAS.

There isn't a standard process between different universities for transfers, so the best thing you can do is reach out to each one and find out.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Hi guys,

What made you reconsider Birkbeck as I am also thinking of applying there?
Reply 4
Hi guys,
However, I still really want to apply to unis in London. My problem is the fact I want to do a foundation course and my grades are definitely not good enough for anywhere I would ideally want to apply like Kings or LSE. ***

I would ask yourself why the change in circumstances means they would not be a good fit. I attend birkbeck part time and am in my second year of foundation because I'm part time. The teaching tends to be pretty good and many of the other students are able to work decent hours. I work full time and study part time. If my hours weren't so obscure and I didn't have other responsibilities I could see myself studying full time.

It would stand to reason if you are being kicked out you'd need a job. The evening teaching style would likely be best for this. Unless you're looking at say bar work etc. Obviously London is going to be the most expensive place to live but it's also the place with the most job opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending