The Student Room Group

I need help

Hello,

So here’s some context: I was predicted A*AA, got an offer from UCL and KCL for history, both contextual for ABB. Unfortunately, I got BBC and was so devastated as I had put in so much effort.

I have been thinking about what to do, and here are my options:

Go to uni of Exeter: it’s very good for history, but my parents reluctantly allowed me to go. I have been thinking about it and the cons outweigh the pros; it will be very hard to go back and forth, it’s 5-6 hours away from where I live (London), I will be away from my family, I didn’t plan for accommodation and it may be expensive, and therefore I don’t want to burden my parents. I am also Muslim and Exeter is majority white, therefore I may not fit in. I also may end up hating it there and will have wasted a year going there for nothing.

Wait for remark and try for Queen Mary: I was 1 mark off an A for economics and therefore requested a remark to hopefully find 1 mark for an A. I called QMUL for clearing and although my grades won’t cut it, they said that they may consider me for clearing if I get the A. However, I am not hopeful with this option as i may not get a grade increase after the remark, and even if I do, there may not be a guaranteed space.

Go to SOAS: my application still hasn’t been accepted, but if it does, I’m not sure whether to go or not. It’s 28th for history and is generally a good uni for humanities. However, I don’t know if I want to settle here

Retake: I think this may be my most viable option as I really don’t want to settle for anything less than my dream unis, that being KCL and UCL. However, a friend spoke to the school about retakes and the school said no. This is a huge problem for me as I want to retake history and psychology, and if I have to retake at another centre, I’ll have to learn completely different content for history, as well as different options for paper 3 psychology. It will also be a hastle to find someone to do my predicteds and reference, so therefore I’m very unsure about what can be done. I also have to consider that even if I retake, I still may not to do well. But at the same time, I’ve only heard of success stories for those who did end up retaking.

I’m so upset about everything right now, and I wish that things were different. Even though I tried so hard, I blame myself for my poor grades. I would like some advice on what to do. I am going on a trip around Europe for 3 weeks, a trip which was meant to be for celebrating after I got into UCL…

Any options would also be welcomed. Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Muj1111
Hello,

So here’s some context: I was predicted A*AA, got an offer from UCL and KCL for history, both contextual for ABB. Unfortunately, I got BBC and was so devastated as I had put in so much effort.

Go to uni of Exeter: it’s very good for history, but my parents reluctantly allowed me to go. I have been thinking about it and the cons outweigh the pros; it will be very hard to go back and forth, it’s 5-6 hours away from where I live (London), I will be away from my family, I didn’t plan for accommodation and it may be expensive, and therefore I don’t want to burden my parents. I am also Muslim and Exeter is majority white, therefore I may not fit in. I also may end up hating it there and will have wasted a year going there for nothing.

Wait for remark and try for Queen Mary: I was 1 mark off an A for economics and therefore requested a remark to hopefully find 1 mark for an A. I called QMUL for clearing and although my grades won’t cut it, they said that they may consider me for clearing if I get the A. However, I am not hopeful with this option as i may not get a grade increase after the remark, and even if I do, there may not be a guaranteed space.

Go to SOAS: my application still hasn’t been accepted, but if it does, I’m not sure whether to go or not. It’s 28th for history and is generally a good uni for humanities. However, I don’t know if I want to settle here

Retake: I think this may be my most viable option as I really don’t want to settle for anything less than my dream unis, that being KCL and UCL. However, a friend spoke to the school about retakes and the school said no. This is a huge problem for me as I want to retake history and psychology, and if I have to retake at another centre, I’ll have to learn completely different content for history, as well as different options for paper 3 psychology. It will also be a hastle to find someone to do my predicteds and reference, so therefore I’m very unsure about what can be done. I also have to consider that even if I retake, I still may not to do well. But at the same time, I’ve only heard of success stories for those who did end up retaking.

I’m so upset about everything right now, and I wish that things were different. Even though I tried so hard, I blame myself for my poor grades. I would like some advice on what to do. I am going on a trip around Europe for 3 weeks, a trip which was meant to be for celebrating after I got into UCL…

Hi Just my 2 pennies' worth of comments:

I understand how you feel and feel sorry you are in a difficult situation. However,

Exeter: There was probably a good reason you select Exeter in the first place. I understand there is some fear of the unknown or uncertainty. However, if the finance works out, you can give it a try. In every place, there are some nice people and you will find one another to become friends.

SOAS: This is a specialized school. You should focused on its strong suit, on "Oriental" and "African" history. General ranking is not reliable or completely applicable to such a specialized school, IMHO, e.g., you may acquire foreign language skills that may be useful for your future career. i.e., look past the "ranking" and on the specifics. Look up the career paths of past grads. Plus it's in London, closer to home?

QML: Hope for the best.

I am not sure about this, but my impression is Birkbeck is supposed to be good in History. And it's convenient and you could even get a part-time job that goes with your studies/specialization. But it's not for everyone.

Don't stress out and try to think positively, with what YOU HAVE. Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.

D.
Original post by Muj1111
Hello,

Hey, I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time!

I know that it has been a couple of days, so I just wanted to check if you had heard back yet from SOAS. If not, please call the clearing hotline (0203 912 6580) ASAP to follow this up. The line officially closes tomorrow at 2pm!

When it comes to rankings, SOAS is 12th in the UK for History (QS World University Rankings 2023). Rankings can be good to look at, but ultimately I'd suggest researching course content, how modules are assessed, opportunities offered, the student life, location etc.

The History course at SOAS is really great, especially for people who are interested in studying a non-western perspective. The department offers you the chance to partake in a variety of thematic and regional focused modules. In addition, as SOAS is 54% international, you'll meet lots of incredible peers who share their real-life perspective in your tutorials, which only further helps you critically research these areas.

SOAS’s campus is in Bloomsbury, in central London. It is fairly easy to commute to, as it is surrounded by a variety of different tube stations, such as Russel Square, Tottenham Court Road, King's Cross, Euston etc. In addition, it is next door to UCL and Birkbeck, which is great because students from University of London institutions have the opportunity to use the other universities facilities. For example, as a SOAS student you can use KCL or LSE’s library, sign up for a student membership at UCL’s gym or buy food from Birkbeck’s SU shop etc. In addition, SOAS’s location in London is optimal, as King’s Cross is a 10-15 minute walk in one direction and Tottenham Court Road/Oxford street is a 10-15 minute walk the other way. This means that you are surrounded by amazing places to eat, markets to visit and can always find something to do!

Another great thing about SOAS is that all students starting this year will now have the opportunity to study abroad for a year, regardless of which programme they are from. This is an incredible experience and SOAS have curated a very diverse list of partner school options. Some of the country options include the US, Canada, Jordan, Hong Kong, India, Norway, Singapore, Taiwan and so many more!

SOAS has a great ISOC, that I have been a part of during my time here. We have a few prayer rooms on campus and the ISOC hosts Jummah every Friday, followed by tea for the sisters. SOAS has halal food options on campus and a variety of amazing halal options nearby for all different cuisines.

In addition, there are lots of cultural societies at SOAS, such as DESI society, MENA society, ACS etc, who are very active and constantly hosting fun events and collaborations with other London uni's cultural societies.

I know how daunting it can be, but remember to take your time when choosing between your offers. If you need help or have any questions, you can drop any of us a message on here or if you would like to talk to a student directly you can send a message on Unibuddy. If you have questions about your application or want any clarifications, you can always call our clearing hotline number: 0203 912 6580. Like I mentioned earlier, this line will officially close tomorrow at 2pm!

I hope that this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

- K (BSc Accounting and Finance)
Reply 3
Original post by SOAS Official Student Rep Two
Hey, I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time!

I know that it has been a couple of days, so I just wanted to check if you had heard back yet from SOAS. If not, please call the clearing hotline (0203 912 6580) ASAP to follow this up. The line officially closes tomorrow at 2pm!

When it comes to rankings, SOAS is 12th in the UK for History (QS World University Rankings 2023). Rankings can be good to look at, but ultimately I'd suggest researching course content, how modules are assessed, opportunities offered, the student life, location etc.

The History course at SOAS is really great, especially for people who are interested in studying a non-western perspective. The department offers you the chance to partake in a variety of thematic and regional focused modules. In addition, as SOAS is 54% international, you'll meet lots of incredible peers who share their real-life perspective in your tutorials, which only further helps you critically research these areas.

SOAS’s campus is in Bloomsbury, in central London. It is fairly easy to commute to, as it is surrounded by a variety of different tube stations, such as Russel Square, Tottenham Court Road, King's Cross, Euston etc. In addition, it is next door to UCL and Birkbeck, which is great because students from University of London institutions have the opportunity to use the other universities facilities. For example, as a SOAS student you can use KCL or LSE’s library, sign up for a student membership at UCL’s gym or buy food from Birkbeck’s SU shop etc. In addition, SOAS’s location in London is optimal, as King’s Cross is a 10-15 minute walk in one direction and Tottenham Court Road/Oxford street is a 10-15 minute walk the other way. This means that you are surrounded by amazing places to eat, markets to visit and can always find something to do!

Another great thing about SOAS is that all students starting this year will now have the opportunity to study abroad for a year, regardless of which programme they are from. This is an incredible experience and SOAS have curated a very diverse list of partner school options. Some of the country options include the US, Canada, Jordan, Hong Kong, India, Norway, Singapore, Taiwan and so many more!

SOAS has a great ISOC, that I have been a part of during my time here. We have a few prayer rooms on campus and the ISOC hosts Jummah every Friday, followed by tea for the sisters. SOAS has halal food options on campus and a variety of amazing halal options nearby for all different cuisines.

In addition, there are lots of cultural societies at SOAS, such as DESI society, MENA society, ACS etc, who are very active and constantly hosting fun events and collaborations with other London uni's cultural societies.

I know how daunting it can be, but remember to take your time when choosing between your offers. If you need help or have any questions, you can drop any of us a message on here or if you would like to talk to a student directly you can send a message on Unibuddy. If you have questions about your application or want any clarifications, you can always call our clearing hotline number: 0203 912 6580. Like I mentioned earlier, this line will officially close tomorrow at 2pm!

I hope that this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

- K (BSc Accounting and Finance)

Unfortunately I got rejected by SOAS…

Quick Reply

Latest