The Student Room Group

I’m stuck with what to do for A level

I’ve got 5 subjects I want to do (history, engineering, computing, physics, maths) but I can only do 4, and I don’t know what I want to do in the future but it’ll probably be something in the stem field, but I wanna keep my options open. I find all the subjects relatively easy (at gcse) and I like all of them other than physics but I need to do that for engineering or a physics pathway. The schools I want to go to do all 5 of those subjects so it’s not even a case of I can’t do one of them
Original post by dinozaur781
I’ve got 5 subjects I want to do (history, engineering, computing, physics, maths) but I can only do 4, and I don’t know what I want to do in the future but it’ll probably be something in the stem field, but I wanna keep my options open. I find all the subjects relatively easy (at gcse) and I like all of them other than physics but I need to do that for engineering or a physics pathway. The schools I want to go to do all 5 of those subjects so it’s not even a case of I can’t do one of them

Would I be right in assuming that when you refer to "Engineering" you're not talking about an A level, but are talking about a a BTEC Extended Certificate, or similar? If so, then that's the one to drop. Most unis will ignore your fourth subject anyway.
Original post by dinozaur781

Hiya,

I'm a 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster uni and want to pursue a career in engineering. What I have found is that you don't need to have done engineering to do it later in life, as many sixth forms don't offer it as a subject, so having maths and physics is more than enough! However, as you said you're not as fond of physics, you might want to research and see if physics or engineering is something you want to do in the future, as physics principles are heavily involved within the engineering too.

Overall, physics definitely opens more doors for you to pursue a career in STEM and is great to do as an A-Level, but if you don't enjoy it, it may not be something you want to go forward with in the future. I recommend weighing up each subject with how much you enjoy it compared to future careers and what you would like to do at uni. As engineering involves physics, I'd recommend reevalutaing engineering, as you can definitely pick that up if you wish to after having done maths and physics.

If you have more quesries, feel free to ask!
-- Arya (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest