The Student Room Group

Building Surveying or Quantity Surveying

Basically I want a job in this area but I’m not sure which would be best
I understand BS is less out of the office and alot of active work and I find it the most interesting however I’ve heard its harder to find a job and its often lower paid
QS is more stable and I’ve heard it’s easier to get into large corporations and build yourself up with higher pay however some say it’s more boring
Does anyone have any experiences or opinions they can help me with?
Reply 1
Original post by lucymbx
Basically I want a job in this area but I’m not sure which would be best
I understand BS is less out of the office and alot of active work and I find it the most interesting however I’ve heard its harder to find a job and its often lower paid
QS is more stable and I’ve heard it’s easier to get into large corporations and build yourself up with higher pay however some say it’s more boring
Does anyone have any experiences or opinions they can help me with?

They are both rewarding professions with good career prospects and their own unique benefits and challenges but ultimately It comes down to your own personal preference.

BS are inspecting and assessing the condition of buildings, reviewing designs, producing building valuations etc, QS are more involved with commercial and contractual management of projects

Both BS/QS will spend a mixture of time within the office and on-site, obviously BS will spend significantly more time on site. With QS it's often influenced by the employer, for example client consultancy QS will be in a office most of the time, whereas a main contractor QS is often situated on a construction project, albeit mostly at a desk.

I can't advise on the availability of BS jobs, I would suggest asking this on the 'Student Surveyors - Surveying and Valuation UK' FB group. As for QS, personally believe there is an abundance of opportunities.

Salaries are rather similar, with QS earning slightly more. Generally speaking, you can progress further as a QS, dependant on your own ambition, you could become a managing surveyor, commercial manager, commercial director etc.

Do I think the role of QS is boring? Sometimes perhaps, but for the best part I thoroughly enjoy it.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending