The Student Room Group

Year 10 Options Advice Needed

Hiya i'm in year 9, so I have a couple months left for options, and I wanted to know whether french GCSE would be worth it. Here is the options i'm thinking of :
Math
English
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Option 1 : History
Option 2 : Computer Science
Option 3 : Drama
Option 4 : French / Buisness Studies/Geography

I have completed up to Phase 3 French IB (in my previous school), so should this be an easy pass, or should I stick to buisness/geography? I don't particularly enjoy French, but I don't mind it either.
I need help so I know whether to continue to learn and be better or just stagnate, pass year 9 french, and forget it forever.
Reply 1
Hey!

I think your choices are great. I also chose Computer Science and Drama! However, I haven't personally chosen GCSE French, but almost everybody I know has.

Since you don't enjoy French as much as other subjects I recommend choosing one you actually genuinely like. GCSE's are more like a prep for A levels so it's not worth doing something you won't enjoy. Plus, even if you don't choose French GCSE, you can surely do it later in IB / A levels.

If I were you, I would choose another subject I really like, because that will definitely assure me a high grade and maybe come back to French in a later school year. Use this GCSE opportunity to learn something new that might be useful but, revise and keep practicing French on your own so you can move on when you are older.

I hope this helps!
Reply 2
Thanks... I am pretty good at drama and want too be a lead in my massive school production, so would you say drama or music would be more helpful for that. I'm not great at music... just started learning the trombone, 0 knowledge, but am willing to work hard
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Darsh Rathod
Thanks... I am pretty good at drama and want too be a lead in my massive school production, so would you say drama or music would be more helpful for that. I'm not great at music... just started learning the trombone, 0 knowledge, but am willing to work hard

wow trombone, that sounds tough!

I think drama is definitely more helpful if you're trying to enter a production. I do drama and have taken part in all my school musicals/shows in the past 3 years. They usually even recommend you join the shows when you are a theatre student.

Drama is a great subject, probably my favorite so far. In my opinion, it will lead you much further than music. Music GCSE is actually really tough. There is a lot of composition and weird stuff (I don't do it). In my school only one person does it. Everybody else left in the first 2 weeks 😀 ! Also, if you're good at drama + have fun in it, you should 100% do it! You will do great in your final piece and get an outstanding grade.
Reply 4
Thank you so much... really helps, because I'm already in the school production... as a chorus and I want to be a lead by year 11. In fact we have the performance today... so wish me luck!!
Reply 5
Original post by Darsh Rathod
Thank you so much... really helps, because I'm already in the school production... as a chorus and I want to be a lead by year 11. In fact we have the performance today... so wish me luck!!

omg! that's great! Good luck!!!

We have our musical in feb, I cant wait!

You're welcome, I know how it feels to choose your subjects...

BREAK A LEG
Reply 6
Thanks 😊 what musical are you doing? We're doing guys and dolls
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 7
Hey, sorry for the late response, physics exams are the worst!

We've recently done Beauty and the Beast and Oliver Twist (all musical versions), though now we are doing Shrek the Musical! I don't like it as much but it's turning out pretty good!!!

How did the performance go?!

Quick Reply

Latest