The Student Room Group

URGENT !!! Help with 3rd A Level options !!!

Hiyaa I would really appreciate some help from some fellow students

I'm struggling to choose my third option for my A levels. I'm interested in studying environmental science at Cardiff university in the future. For that reason 2 of the A levels I've chosen is Chemistry and Geography but I'm stuck with the last one. I've met the requirements with a minimum of 1 science so I'm basically free to choose whatever which is really messing with me. I need to make my mind up by the end of the week but the people around my don't give great advice at least in terms of education so I'd appreciate some good and if needed brutally honest advice.

The 3 subjects I'm considering for my 3rd option are
RE - predicted A*
Maths - precited A
History - Predicted A/A*

I'm really iffy on history otherwise I would've chosen it so mainly I'm stuck between re and maths. Pls let me know if there's anything else you'd think is suitable.

For context the exam board I do is WJEC and during GCSE's I studied double award science and then Geography, History and Sociology.

Many thanks for any responses and wishing everyone the best !!!
Reply 1
i just finished my A-levels this year and i picked history as my 3rd option (it was either history or english literature since these were my strongest subjects at GCSE).

i did AQA history during my time at sixth form but it was my worst subject without a doubt. i excelled at it at gcse and although your teachers do make it very clear that GCSE is different from A-level i didn't really think i'd struggle all that much. it's not that i did all that bad but i wasn't at all interested in the course, not to mention the coursework we had to do alongside it. i imagine the course is much easier if you actually enjoy the subject.

perhaps it's better with different exam boards, but i didn't enjoy it at a -level.

but pushing my opinion aside, history is a great subject if you're looking to go into certain subjects as sometimes universities require it, or at least recommend it. it's also great if you're looking to hone in on your research, analysis, and writing skills as there will be an enormous amount of essay writing.

maths is a great A-level choice. very desirable subject and very respected.
not too sure about RE, there was only one girl in my sixth form who picked it at A-level lol, but it seems like a pretty safe option if you want a high grade.
Reply 2
For reference, I just finished my first year at Uni, studying an Engineering related degree.

My advice would be study something you enjoy! If you are meeting your requirements for Uni with your first two options, then studying something you enjoy may well provide you with a good grade, that can contribute to entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. Plus, having at least one subject that you think is purely fun, can take a weight off your shoulders.

On the other hand, A-Level maths can be incredibly useful and can lead to many different options. It keeps lots of doors open incase your number one choice doesn't pan out, or your future plans change.

Hope that helps :smile:
Best of luck for results day!
Reply 3
I agree with the first two comments collectively. Pick what you enjoy. And picking a safer subject option if you want a higher grade. Maths A Level is tough but it does look good and also it might be a back up option if you do change career paths. You seem quite able by looking at your predicted grades, but id say be careful as both Maths and Chemistry A Level IS tough in itself. But netherless your predicted grades look great! Its also important whether you enjoyed maths at school.

For RE A Level I personally did that and thought it was a great chill subject for me. My exam board was AQA i believe and its all essay based questions. I found it to be my easier subject and not very heavy based content for me (maybe because one of the religion studied was my own religion so already had backhand knowledge).

But most importantly do pick what you enjoy!
Reply 4
Original post by nebulaee
i just finished my A-levels this year and i picked history as my 3rd option (it was either history or english literature since these were my strongest subjects at GCSE).

i did AQA history during my time at sixth form but it was my worst subject without a doubt. i excelled at it at gcse and although your teachers do make it very clear that GCSE is different from A-level i didn't really think i'd struggle all that much. it's not that i did all that bad but i wasn't at all interested in the course, not to mention the coursework we had to do alongside it. i imagine the course is much easier if you actually enjoy the subject.

perhaps it's better with different exam boards, but i didn't enjoy it at a -level.

but pushing my opinion aside, history is a great subject if you're looking to go into certain subjects as sometimes universities require it, or at least recommend it. it's also great if you're looking to hone in on your research, analysis, and writing skills as there will be an enormous amount of essay writing.

not too sure about RE, there was only one girl in my sixth form who picked it at A-level lol, but it seems like a pretty safe option if you want a high grade.

Thank you for the reply ! I'm the same I did well at GCSE. In year 10 I it my predicted grades but during year 11 I became absolutely uninterested, the content no longer felt exciting to learn and to be honest I'm lowkey sick of essay based subjects lol. I don't believe I'd enjoy it all that much but never say never ig. It's a facilitating subject so it'd be of more use than doing any old subject. But I do agree it's a great subject in itself.
Reply 5
Original post by Phil5690
For reference, I just finished my first year at Uni, studying an Engineering related degree.

My advice would be study something you enjoy! If you are meeting your requirements for Uni with your first two options, then studying something you enjoy may well provide you with a good grade, that can contribute to entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. Plus, having at least one subject that you think is purely fun, can take a weight off your shoulders.

On the other hand, A-Level maths can be incredibly useful and can lead to many different options. It keeps lots of doors open incase your number one choice doesn't pan out, or your future plans change.

Hope that helps :smile:
Best of luck for results day!

Thank you for the reply ! I think you'd be of great help to be. I have considered taking engineering as a back up as my desired uni offers a course of civil and environmental engineering and one of the requirements is maths. Now even though my predicted grade is an A which is pretty good I was working at a c at the start of the year and only got there with lots of hard work and dedication. I wanna keep some form of sanity during this year though. I guess my biggest is failing the subject which why I'm second guessing even considering the course. I would want to take a subject I consider fun , it's something I did at GCSE but again I'm trying to maximise what little chance have for uni. I don't want to just rely on my current grades because you never know. Nonetheless thank you for the advice !
Reply 6
Original post by zeeski
I agree with the first two comments collectively. Pick what you enjoy. And picking a safer subject option if you want a higher grade. Maths A Level is tough but it does look good and also it might be a back up option if you do change career paths. You seem quite able by looking at your predicted grades, but id say be careful as both Maths and Chemistry A Level IS tough in itself. But netherless your predicted grades look great! Its also important whether you enjoyed maths at school.

For RE A Level I personally did that and thought it was a great chill subject for me. My exam board was AQA i believe and its all essay based questions. I found it to be my easier subject and not very heavy based content for me (maybe because one of the religion studied was my own religion so already had backhand knowledge).

But most importantly do pick what you enjoy!

Thanks for the reply ! I agree I didn't choose a second science alongside biology for fear of finding it too difficult. My options are quite balanced with a science and more essay based subject aka geography. I really enjoyed and did well in maths purely because of my year11 maths teacher. I doubt I could get to a decent grade in A level maths without him. I mentioned elsewhere that I was working a c in year 10 and only when I moved up a set in yr 11 did I actually improve. I really enjoy RE. The RE department are lovely people and good teachers plus I find he topics intriguing. I'm similar where in year 10 I found it easy because one of the religions studied was my own. I want to seriously consider RE. But after posting this I feel a little bit more confidant. Thanks for the advice!
Reply 7
Original post by xvltyz
Thank you for the reply ! I think you'd be of great help to be. I have considered taking engineering as a back up as my desired uni offers a course of civil and environmental engineering and one of the requirements is maths. Now even though my predicted grade is an A which is pretty good I was working at a c at the start of the year and only got there with lots of hard work and dedication. I wanna keep some form of sanity during this year though. I guess my biggest is failing the subject which why I'm second guessing even considering the course. I would want to take a subject I consider fun , it's something I did at GCSE but again I'm trying to maximise what little chance have for uni. I don't want to just rely on my current grades because you never know. Nonetheless thank you for the advice !

I am currently studying an offshoot of Aeronautical Engineering, Aircraft Engineering. It is a lot of hard work, with lots of hours in lectures. Its not an easy subject either. Of course I don't know how civil engineering compares. But, Engineering is very maths heavy, and honestly, it will be a battle if you don't enjoy Engineering, so I think that is something to consider heavily. I find my course very fun and rewarding, inspite of the difficulties. But if you want to pursue Engineering, or even just the option of Engineering in the future, maths A-Level would be pretty important.
Hope that helps, happy to help you further with anything you may need!
It's worth noting that most colleges/sixth forms will have a period at the start of year 12 when you can change a subject, given there is room in classes
Reply 9
Did any of you do AQA maths alevel? I wanted to see how alevel maths works. This may not be right but, I see some people doing pure maths whilst others do mechanic maths. What's the difference? Is there a choice u have to make between them or are both just topics covered within alevel maths?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 10
I didn't do AQA maths, but I can explain the difference between pure, mechanics and statistics. My exam board (OCR MEI) did a similar thing.

Pure maths is theoretical maths. You'll do topics including, but not limited to, Trigonometry, Calculus, Differential Equations, etc. Pure maths is all about mathematics, I know that may not make too much sense... But, thats the best way of putting it.

Mechanics looks to apply the maths to problems like those you will encounter in Physics. You will do the maths behind motion, forces and more.

Statistics looks to teach you about probability, but to a higher level than you would at GCSE. There is a lot more to it than just probability ofc, but that really is the route of everything.

If you are interested I could provide you with a full topic list in Pure/Mech/Stats for my old exam board, but not AQA as I obviously have no experience in AQA. However, I can direct you to here https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/mathematics-7357/specification-at-a-glance

That link gives you the full spec for AQA A-Level maths :smile:

Hope that helps!
Reply 11
ADVICE NEEDED!!!
so I'm resitting because I'm not happy with my business and psych results but also BC idk what to do in uni. I never liked business, it was just a subject I did because I didn't know what else to do. I recently gained interest in maths, the issue with that is, can I do maths fast track in 1 year and get decent grades? Is it possible. I don't wanna regret it later thinking that I should've done business as it would've been easier since I did it for 2 years.
Reply 12
Original post by xvltyz
Hiyaa I would really appreciate some help from some fellow students

I'm struggling to choose my third option for my A levels. I'm interested in studying environmental science at Cardiff university in the future. For that reason 2 of the A levels I've chosen is Chemistry and Geography but I'm stuck with the last one. I've met the requirements with a minimum of 1 science so I'm basically free to choose whatever which is really messing with me. I need to make my mind up by the end of the week but the people around my don't give great advice at least in terms of education so I'd appreciate some good and if needed brutally honest advice.

The 3 subjects I'm considering for my 3rd option are
RE - predicted A*
Maths - precited A
History - Predicted A/A*

I'm really iffy on history otherwise I would've chosen it so mainly I'm stuck between re and maths. Pls let me know if there's anything else you'd think is suitable.

For context the exam board I do is WJEC and during GCSE's I studied double award science and then Geography, History and Sociology.

Many thanks for any responses and wishing everyone the best !!!

Man I just changed history to business lol. I did Edexcel IGCSE history, and could've continued with A level Edexcel history. It's a good choice if you're a history buff, especially because it's easier (as far as I can see) to get a higher grade in. Otherwise, you won't lose anything if you don't pick it. If you already did it at GCSE, it might be easier to pick it for A level for a sense of familiarity.

Math - I'm doing Edexcel and I suck, lol. If you're good at math and enjoy it, go for it. It's kind of hard (in my opinion), and if you don't have to do it, I'd shy away from it if you're worried you won't do great in it. Better to get a good grade in another subject so you can say you got 3 A's in your A levels.

RE - can't say, haven't done it. My advice stands: if it's easy to get a high grade, and fun (obviously), then pick that.

Also, check grade stats! Idk if other exam boards have it, but Edexcel has stats online of how many people got 9/8/7 - A/B/C, etc. It's quite helpful in making decisions.

All the best!
Reply 13
Original post by nebulaee

I had a predicted grade 8 in lit IGCSE (AQA), but I ended up getting a 5 (???). Oh well. As for history, I did Edexcel and got a 9. It was relatively easy and quite fun, but for AS, English civil war seemed boring. I ditched history recently for something else. Why did you find history difficult, and why was it boring?

Quick Reply

Latest