The Student Room Group

Studying remotely and travelling abroad

Hi,

I'm currently in my first year at Open University. I'm a British citizen and have lived here my whole life. My study is being funded by sfe. I am looking at possibly travelling in the next year or two and was hoping to get some infomation on this. I'd be going to Australia and I am unsure how long for, it may be 6 months, it may be 2 years. This will depend on a few factors, including the response to this question. I am guessing that if I am abroad at the time of application I will not be eligible for finance? How about if I start, get finance and then end up moving abroad during that academic year? Would this breach the contract and I'd have funding withdrawn/have to pay it back immediately? Would I have to wait until the end of that academic year before I would be able to travel in order to stay eligible/not incur charges?

This part isn't exactly sfe related as much as finance in general, but my online research suggested I may have to turn to private student loan providers. I'm guessing the terms for these loans would be much less favourable, does anyone have any experience with this?

Before anyone tells me to just wait, please understand. I am disabled and have spent the last 10 years trying to get on top of my health conditions, I am finally at a point now where I am confidentally and consistently able to exist again and would like to make the most of this whilst I can. Travelling to Australia has been a long term dream of mine and I have recently come across an opportunity to do so. Visa requirements mean it will be much more preferable for me to go sooner rather than later. My degree and my career goals involve roughly 10 years of education, including this year, so putting this off is not an option for me as I already started education at a later age than most.

I'm hoping there is a way I can manage to do both, but I know it may be wishful thinking. I will say though, what a lovely problem to have!

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Original post by krewte
Hi,

I'm currently in my first year at Open University. I'm a British citizen and have lived here my whole life. My study is being funded by sfe. I am looking at possibly travelling in the next year or two and was hoping to get some infomation on this. I'd be going to Australia and I am unsure how long for, it may be 6 months, it may be 2 years. This will depend on a few factors, including the response to this question. I am guessing that if I am abroad at the time of application I will not be eligible for finance? How about if I start, get finance and then end up moving abroad during that academic year? Would this breach the contract and I'd have funding withdrawn/have to pay it back immediately? Would I have to wait until the end of that academic year before I would be able to travel in order to stay eligible/not incur charges?

This part isn't exactly sfe related as much as finance in general, but my online research suggested I may have to turn to private student loan providers. I'm guessing the terms for these loans would be much less favourable, does anyone have any experience with this?

Before anyone tells me to just wait, please understand. I am disabled and have spent the last 10 years trying to get on top of my health conditions, I am finally at a point now where I am confidentally and consistently able to exist again and would like to make the most of this whilst I can. Travelling to Australia has been a long term dream of mine and I have recently come across an opportunity to do so. Visa requirements mean it will be much more preferable for me to go sooner rather than later. My degree and my career goals involve roughly 10 years of education, including this year, so putting this off is not an option for me as I already started education at a later age than most.

I'm hoping there is a way I can manage to do both, but I know it may be wishful thinking. I will say though, what a lovely problem to have!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Hi there, if you moved during the Academic Year you would need to update us at Student Finance England (SFE) and also the Open university. The university would then class you as an 'International student' and you'd no longer be eligible for the support with ourselves. You also need to be resident in your domicile prior to the course starting (if you're with SFE you'd need to be in England before the course starts). If you're looking to move over to Australia prior the course/year finishing you can withdraw from the uni and have them send the withdrawal notice to us. As you're with Open university do you also have a Maintenance Loan? Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending