The Student Room Group

Considering starting Chemistry, advice?

Hello all :h:

I'm a year 12 student who's currently taking Biology, Psychology, and English LIT. I chose these subjects to be able to study Psychology at university (a huge interest of mine), but now I am also considering studying Medicine (another huge interest of mine).
After some reading, I realised I need A-Level Chemistry to get into medical school. Since I hadn't considered it as a career for some time, I hadn't checked any entry requirements for medicine.

I have spoken to my teachers and it seems it is possible for me to join A-Level Chemistry halfway through term, my only fear is that I have little to no Chemistry background.
So I ask you, Chemistry students, what is it like? Do you think it's very hard, or is it manageable when you get the hang of it? Are the main concepts hard to understand? And... is there a lot of complicated maths?

Any honest opinions will help a lot, thank you so much!
Reply 1
Original post by MarinaKat

I'm a year 12 student who's currently taking Biology, Psychology, and English LIT. I chose these subjects to be able to study Psychology at university (a huge interest of mine), but now I am also considering studying Medicine (another huge interest of mine).
After some reading, I realised I need A-Level Chemistry to get into medical school. Since I hadn't considered it as a career for some time, I hadn't checked any entry requirements for medicine.

I have spoken to my teachers and it seems it is possible for me to join A-Level Chemistry halfway through term, my only fear is that I have little to no Chemistry background.
So I ask you, Chemistry students, what is it like? Do you think it's very hard, or is it manageable when you get the hang of it? Are the main concepts hard to understand? And... is there a lot of complicated maths?

Did you enjoy chemistry at GCSE?

Firstly, I believe you need to really enjoy chemistry to properly understand some concepts. Sometimes even for us who love chemistry, some of the topics at A Level can be really tricky, and you need your love of chemistry to get you through some of the tougher times.

Secondly, I have a discussion with the chemistry teacher about what topics have been covered so far. I think at this point they will have gone through structure and bonding, intermolecular forces and possibly some equilibrium stuff.

Best of luck!

im in yr 13 and do bio chem and english and personally feel chem is the easiest by far out of the two i think if you want to do well and achieve A stars easily personally what i do is watch videos explaining the topic and use chemrevise notes which is legit the only reason why im doing well. compared to bio its not content heavy its more being able to understand i also dont think theres is alot of application questions but if your decent at maths you should be fine i would say the maths so far is pretty easy and the calculations i find are the easiest marks to gain as long as you understands the methods so if you got a 6 or 7 in maths you should be fine but i do see some students struggle with the maths due to it being in science context so it depend, but enough practise your good. joining half way through should not set you back overall if you push and study hard since chem lessons compared to bio are more slow paced with content. so as long as you study outside of school and put in the effort you can deffo do well.
Reply 3

Hey!! Idk if this response is a bit late but it certainly is doable, I picked up Chemistry halfway through year 12 too! I was doing Bio, Psychology and Geography, originally thought I would do Geography at Uni, however after loving Bio A-level I realized I wanted to go into Science so picked up Chemistry, which is funnily enough now what I am doing at Uni. It was difficult catching up, but if you are prepared to put the work in its really not that bad. Once I had caught up, I personally found Chem A-level easier to revise for as the questions are very repetitive. It is harder conceptually then other A-levels, you can't really 'cram' for a chem exam, you have to understand it. However, if you are prepared to put the work in you will do well. There is quite a bit of maths involved, so you have to be confident in your mathmatical ability. How are you finding the maths in A-level Bio so far? If you are able to understand it easily then you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest