The Student Room Group

Applying to University

Hi, I have been slightly unsure with the whole applying to university process and what course to apply for but recently i have always had an interest for sciences, psychology and maths.

My Grades
Highers: Maths A History B Biology C Chemistry C English C
Advanced Highers: Maths D Chemistry D Psychology A

I and my parents are pretty disappointed with my results and with the lack of effort i put in during high school because I had no idea what I wanted to do at university. I really feel that i need to improve these grades as i don’t think my top uni choices will accept me, I was planning on applying to St Andrews, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and Glasgow. I think i could possibly get into Strathclyde with my grades right now but I haven’t contacted them yet.

I know that i can go to college and do a HNC which helps quite a bit, I was looking for courses and saw they offer HNC applied science with chemistry which looked interesting to me but the course starts on the 23rd and I have not made a personal statement yet so that might be really tight. If there’s any other options that anyone knows please feel free to let me know or if my grades are fine to apply it would be really appreciated as im slightly lost right now. Thanks
Original post by shrubbyrelic67
Hi, I have been slightly unsure with the whole applying to university process and what course to apply for but recently i have always had an interest for sciences, psychology and maths.

My Grades
Highers: Maths A History B Biology C Chemistry C English C
Advanced Highers: Maths D Chemistry D Psychology A

I and my parents are pretty disappointed with my results and with the lack of effort i put in during high school because I had no idea what I wanted to do at university. I really feel that i need to improve these grades as i don’t think my top uni choices will accept me, I was planning on applying to St Andrews, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and Glasgow. I think i could possibly get into Strathclyde with my grades right now but I haven’t contacted them yet.

I know that i can go to college and do a HNC which helps quite a bit, I was looking for courses and saw they offer HNC applied science with chemistry which looked interesting to me but the course starts on the 23rd and I have not made a personal statement yet so that might be really tight. If there’s any other options that anyone knows please feel free to let me know or if my grades are fine to apply it would be really appreciated as im slightly lost right now. Thanks

Hey @shrubbyrelic67 :smile:

It's likely that we would ask you for further study before we could consider you for our courses but it depends which course you're looking at. For Psychology in particular for example, this falls under our BA Humanities programme and it is very competitive for entry.

I think going to college could be a good route and also gives you more time to consider what you want to study if you're between a few different disciplines. The HNC in Applied Science would likely be considered for some of the programmes within Science if that's the route which interests you most. I'd check the entry requirements for each course closely and get in touch with admissions teams so they can give you individual advice. Your top choices are four very competitive universities so it's worth keeping that in mind too, and if you're going through the UCAS process for 2024 entry also research other universities which may be less competitive.

Hope that helps a bit but let me know if you've any other questions!

Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending