The Student Room Group

TSR Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2023!

Scroll to see replies

And now for the final results of TSR's Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2023, drum roll please...

:king1: 1st place: @Andrew97

:king2: 2nd place: @manu08manu

:king3: 3rd place: @Muttley79

You can see your individual result in the results spreadsheet linked here.

Thank you all for playing! :woo: If you're not aware already, we run a weekly TSR news quiz at the weekend. If you're not already signed up to be notified when these quizzes are released, please reply and let me know, and I can add you to the list. :smile:

@Pwca, could you please award 300 rep to our winner, 150 rep to our runner-up and 100 rep to our third-place? :smile:

Spoiler

Congrats to the podium position players :party:
Congratulations to all the runners and riders :run:
Original post by Andrew97
GET IN!

Nice.

Not that surprised by the rankings and congrats.
Happy with 3rd but the scores haven't been adjusted for the wrong answers in the quiz. Shouldn't the proper answer get a mark rather than the wrong one?
Original post by Saracen's Fez
And now for the final results of TSR's Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2023, drum roll please...

:king1: 1st place: @Andrew97

:king2: 2nd place: @manu08manu

:king3: 3rd place: @Muttley79

You can see your individual result in the results spreadsheet linked here.

Thank you all for playing! :woo: If you're not aware already, we run a weekly TSR news quiz at the weekend. If you're not already signed up to be notified when these quizzes are released, please reply and let me know, and I can add you to the list. :smile:

@Pwca, could you please award 300 rep to our winner, 150 rep to our runner-up and 100 rep to our third-place? :smile:

Spoiler

All done! Congrats to the winners!
Original post by Pwca
All done! Congrats to the winners!

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Happy with 3rd but the scores haven't been adjusted for the wrong answers in the quiz. Shouldn't the proper answer get a mark rather than the wrong one?

I thought the issue here was what you believed to be the correct answer not being listed, rather than the correct answer being flagged to be incorrect?
Answers to News in Emojis:
1) Coronoation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla
2) Implosion of the Titan submersible
3) Arrest of Nicola Sturgeon
4) Finland joins NATO
5) Barbenheimer
6) Spain win FIFA Women's World Cup and Rubiales kiss scandal
7) Yevgeny Prigozhin rebels against Putin and later dies in a plane crash
8) New Beatles song
9) South Africa win Rugby World Cup 2023
10) Wham's Last Christmas is Christmas number 1

Some observations on News in Emojis:
5) Half a point was allowed for identifying each of Barbie and Oppenheimer
6) Half a point was awarded if only the world cup win was identified, or the Luis Rubiales kiss was identified but not linked to the world cup in some way. Leeway was given with identifying Rubiales's position as president of the federation.
7) Some reference to Wagner, Yevgeny Prigozhin or mutiny was required for the point

For all questions it was decided that the answer needed to refer to the news story intended by the quiz author.

Q3. I interpreted it to be, the first Female police chief of Scotland.. Handcuffs would have helped here
Congrats to the all the winners, and everyone that took part for the competion
Original post by manu08manu
Q3. I interpreted it to be, the first Female police chief of Scotland.. Handcuffs would have helped here

There’s no handcuffs emoji AFAIK but ⛓️or 🔗 or 👩🏼*💼could have maybe been used for number 3 on the emojis quiz

But you got a nice score.

I didn’t even know that this happened (I just knew that it was talking about Sturgeon right away) but you have a point now that you mentioned it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65904285

I’d argue that the hair colour used in the emoji (👩🏼was used instead of 👩🏻 or 👩🏽) provides better clarity.
I thought the issue here was what you believed to be the correct answer not being listed, rather than the correct answer being flagged to be incorrect?

Dr Who question was incorrect, % grade 7 chose the number nearest the correct one so should be credited and Politics - no correct answer was feedback to two of the questions when I completed it.

I am not complaining just think questions need better checking in future.

Dr Who question was incorrect, % grade 7 chose the number nearest the correct one so should be credited and Politics - no correct answer was feedback to two of the questions when I completed it.

Politics scores were adjusted accordingly don't worry

The Doctor Who question was clarified very quickly. At the time the note was added into the question I checked the results sheet to assess and the majority of participants had selected the correct answer for the question anyway. None of the people who chose an incorrect answer would have made it onto the podium if they had received that one extra mark. The impact was therefore negligible and the results stand as they are.

(What is '% grade 7'?)
Original post by CatusStarbright
The Doctor Who question was clarified very quickly. At the time the note was added into the question I checked the results sheet to assess and the majority of participants had selected the correct answer for the question anyway. None of the people who chose an incorrect answer would have made it onto the podium if they had received that one extra mark. The impact was therefore negligible and the results stand as they are.

(What is '% grade 7'?)

Education quiz - none of the answers was correct so I chose the one nearest which was, I think, 0.1% out. The 'correct' answer was given as 22.4% which is wrong.

As I said, I'm pleased to get on the podium at all but questions need better checking.
As I said, I'm pleased to get on the podium at all but questions need better checking.

No, a set of volunteers have given up some of their time over Christmas to put together a quiz for the community to enjoy nobody 'needs' to do any of this.
(edited 3 months ago)
No, a set of volunteers have given up some of their time over Christmas to put together a quiz for the community to enjoy nobody 'needs' to do any of this.

I appreciate that but wrong answers spoil the experience.

You chose to do this - no-one forced you to produce a quiz.
(edited 3 months ago)
Thank you to everyone who took the time to write the quiz. Each round was fun to play and taught me some stuff (a lot of lucky guessing went on trust me aha)

Having written a few of these quizzes myself (with some nagging) they are difficult to do. Not only do you need to think of 10 questions for the week, you then need to think of 3 other possible answers. News editors are paid to do these weekly. Everyone here is doing this for a bit of fun and for nothing in return. I think criticising consistently abiut a couple of possible incorrect questions, when there whwre 80 or so questions in total or something? Is a bit unfair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending