The Student Room Group

TSR Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2023!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
I appreciate that but wrong answers spoil the experience.

You chose to do this - no-one forced you to produce a quiz.

Thank you for the feedback. May I suggest you also share it here? :smile:
On another note, at no point has it been claimed that questions were fact checked, correct or truthful in any way. Obviously that will always be the aim, but it's never guaranteed.

I personally am always grateful when someone points out a mistake I've made, so that I can learn from it. But general feedback that I (or others) should take more time (over the Christmas period too) to be more thorough in making and checking the quizzes isn't appreciated, by me at least.

If it spoils the experience you do not need to take part, you can stop participating at any time. :yy:
Original post by Andrew97
Thank you to everyone who took the time to write the quiz. Each round was fun to play and taught me some stuff (a lot of lucky guessing went on trust me aha)

Having written a few of these quizzes myself (with some nagging) they are difficult to do. Not only do you need to think of 10 questions for the week, you then need to think of 3 other possible answers. News editors are paid to do these weekly. Everyone here is doing this for a bit of fun and for nothing in return. I think criticising consistently abiut a couple of possible incorrect questions, when there whwre 80 or so questions in total or something? Is a bit unfair.

Original post by 04MR17
On another note, at no point has it been claimed that questions were fact checked, correct or truthful in any way. Obviously that will always be the aim, but it's never guaranteed.

I personally am always grateful when someone points out a mistake I've made, so that I can learn from it. But general feedback that I (or others) should take more time (over the Christmas period too) to be more thorough in making and checking the quizzes isn't appreciated, by me at least.

If it spoils the experience you do not need to take part, you can stop participating at any time. :yy:

PRSOM
Original post by 04MR17

I like to join in but do assume that the answers will be correct - I don't think that is unreasonable. See the fuss in todays papers about last night's Only Connect or when a UC question is wrong.

It was only when I'd done the quiz that I knew some answers were wrong - and not just one.

I don't expect to have a work-free Christmas and many people work very hard cooking or dealing with guests. Much of this work falls on parents. If you want them checked then ask me next Christmas and I'll find the time.
I like to join in but do assume that the answers will be correct - I don't think that is unreasonable. See the fuss in todays papers about last night's Only Connect or when a UC question is wrong.

It was only when I'd done the quiz that I knew some answers were wrong - and not just one.

I don't expect to have a work-free Christmas and many people work very hard cooking or dealing with guests. Much of this work falls on parents. If you want them checked then ask me next Christmas and I'll find the time.

The key difference is that for the people behind OC and UC, it's their job to get it right. While we do our best to get things right, at the end of the day we are only volunteers trying to do something fun for both ourselves and other people. I'd also like to point out that the quizzes were done over a busy Christmas period by six different people, and that there were 81 questions in total (including the tiebreaker). Whilst many of us are not parents, this does not mean we have not had other responsibilities during this period. With all that said, I think we've done well to only have issues with two of the questions and have one instance where the answer key had not been fully completed.

We'll bear that offer in mind, thanks. Please note however that if you were to do this then it would likely preclude you from taking part in the rounds you review (just as the authors of BFQotY rounds were not able to participate in those rounds!).
Original post by CatusStarbright
The key difference is that for the people behind OC and UC, it's their job to get it right. While we do our best to get things right, at the end of the day we are only volunteers trying to do something fun for both ourselves and other people. I'd also like to point out that the quizzes were done over a busy Christmas period by six different people, and that there were 81 questions in total (including the tiebreaker). Whilst many of us are not parents, this does not mean we have not had other responsibilities during this period. With all that said, I think we've done well to only have issues with two of the questions and have one instance where the answer key had not been fully completed.

We'll bear that offer in mind, thanks. Please note however that if you were to do this then it would likely preclude you from taking part in the rounds you review (just as the authors of BFQotY rounds were not able to participate in those rounds!).

I'd happily not take part to get the questions right.
I'd happily not take part to get the questions right.

Noted!
Original post by Andrew97
Thank you to everyone who took the time to write the quiz. Each round was fun to play and taught me some stuff (a lot of lucky guessing went on trust me aha)

Having written a few of these quizzes myself (with some nagging) they are difficult to do. Not only do you need to think of 10 questions for the week, you then need to think of 3 other possible answers. News editors are paid to do these weekly. Everyone here is doing this for a bit of fun and for nothing in return. I think criticising consistently abiut a couple of possible incorrect questions, when there whwre 80 or so questions in total or something? Is a bit unfair.

:ditto:

not that I make any news quizzes anymore but I try to make sure that the questions are correct as of me making the question for the quiz (I don’t tend to make the quiz all in one day) and I specify the date where relevant because I find questions such as “how many days ago was King Charles III coronated?” to be hard or ambiguous to answer if you don’t give a date (as of the 14th of January for example) for obvious reasons.
Original post by 04MR17
Thank you for the feedback. May I suggest you also share it here? :smile:

Not the Rick Roll

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending