The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Dueham class times

Hi, im meant to start at durham next year in archaeology/ classics, and was wondering over travelling from home rather rhan staying in uni halls. I hoped someone from those departments could let me know what their earliest class time was and how many days they were in uni so i could see if it would be viable in terms of the train scheduling. Also, can you choose what times your classes are, or is it set in stone? Thanks
Original post by Hollymcmullan
Hi, im meant to start at durham next year in archaeology/ classics, and was wondering over travelling from home rather rhan staying in uni halls. I hoped someone from those departments could let me know what their earliest class time was and how many days they were in uni so i could see if it would be viable in terms of the train scheduling. Also, can you choose what times your classes are, or is it set in stone? Thanks

Hi. I don't study archaeology/classics at Durham but the day starts at 9am at the earliest and ends at 6pm. In terms of how many days you would be working and what time your classes are, that's completely up to the timetable they create for you which wouldn't be given to you until at least 1-2 weeks before the beginning of term (at least that's what happened in my case) and it would also depend on the modules you choose to do. I am unaware of the flexibility of the class times and whether or not you can change them but in my experience and my department, we would have to email the department and ask for a change if the class clashes with something else. Hope this helps.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Hiya

I'm not in either of those departments but can tell that the earliest classes start at 9am and the last ones would end at 6pm. Most students would have classes on 4 out of 5 days with Wednesdays off but this can vary by course, as some people have classes on all 5 days. You don't get to choose your class timings as they are allocated by the timetable team. You might be able to swap your seminar/tutorial slot with someone but the lectures will be set in stone.

As someone who lived in Ushaw Moor for some time in my first year, I wouldn't suggest living too far away. Not only can the travel be tiring and expensive but public transport isn't very reliable, especially given the frequent rail and bus strikes. Plus if you have one class at say 9am and another at 4pm, you wouldn't be able to go back home if you live far away. Also, to attend events which are mostly held outside of the scheduled teaching hours, you'd need to put in extra effort for travelling again which definitely prevented me from making the most out of my first year as I was always too tired to attend these events.

I don't wanna scare you but it's best to know both pros and cons before making the decision :smile:

-Himieka

I am on the Archaeology/Anthropology degree. I only have a paltry 8 hours contact time. Your Classics may add more or add less.

Quick Reply

Latest