The Student Room Group

does tuition make a difference in gcse

a lot of my friends do tuition and it seems as though the learn more there than at school
is it true that I would do better with tuition and what difference will it make to my grades?
Original post by nooriiii
a lot of my friends do tuition and it seems as though the learn more there than at school
is it true that I would do better with tuition and what difference will it make to my grades?

In my opinion, not really.

Tuition is normally there for guidance at GCSE. You don't need tuition to get, for example, a grade 9. As long as you learn and know the specification for your subjects, you can easily secure a high grade. Please note that teachers are there to support you as well. There's plenty of free resources online. If you truly think you're struggling then by all means, get a tutor, but for GCSE level, I don't think a tutor is a absolute necessity. People normally get tuition if they're struggling and falling behind. Other than that, you don't need tuition.
Hi there!

Having tuition is a very personal thing and depends on however best you learn. If you maybe struggle with your teachers at school and if you would rather have a fresh face to help you specifically with your needs on a 1-1 basis, then go for it! Or if you learn by doing your own personal study and practice questions, then there are plenty of free online resources to assist you in doing your own independent studying, such as BBC Bitesize (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zv3yg2p#zhd87v4) and Education Quizzes (https://www.educationquizzes.com/gcse/).

Another option is after-school revision sessions or making a study group with your friends, where you can work with them together to learn and revise different topics/subjects. I found it helpful making small flashcards, and getting my friends to test me on them, and also testing each other with the ones we wrote ourselves too, as they are less likely to know the answer as they didn’t write them.

Hope some of this helps! Main thing to think about is what way in which you learn best, and whether having an out of school tutor would help assist you in that or not. Best of luck with your GCSEs, I’m sure you’ll do great :smile:

Best wishes,
Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year

Quick Reply

Latest