The Student Room Group

SQA Higher English

Hi, has anyone done the P&N prelim this year, i'm really struggling with the Scottish text as i'm doing Carol Ann Duffy poems. Can somebody please help me.
Reply 1
watch vids on all the poems or read things about it so you have a good broad idea of what the poems are about then, for each poem get 4 to 5 quotes main ones that tie in with a lot of themes and put the quote and analysis in flashcards and keep going over it. after that just watch a video on how to answer the 10 marker so you have a good idea on how to answer it. this guy explains it well h, this guys channel is good
Reply 2
Original post by ZK40
Cheers, I really appreciate the help, have you done higher English?

ye doing it right now as well
😀
Reply 3
Original post by Sui.
if you remember the quotes you will be fine for me chem is the only exam im scared about

Aye but my teacher hasn't given me any revision material for English. Chemistry is actually understanding the math's calculations and knowing the process on how to do them, the theory on other hand is just memorisation. Most of the questions are repeated questions from the older chemistry past papers.
(edited 3 months ago)
When is your English prelim? For English I do flash cards for the quotes analysis, memorise the structure to answer each RUAE question and practice each section with past papers, I’m struggling the most with critical essays though
Original post by ZK40
tomorrow 9am

I’m sure it will go well! Mine isn't until next Tuesday. What are you doing for the set text and critical essay?
Reply 6
Original post by ZK40
Bro I'm doing Carol Ann Duffy poems for set text and I'm struggling so much on it.
The critical essay is easy I memorised it all in like an hour.

I did Duffy poems last year for higher and if yk how to do the 10 marker and the main sort of themes and quotes for the poems you shld be fine
Original post by ZK40
Bro I'm doing Carol Ann Duffy poems for set text and I'm struggling so much on it.
The critical essay is easy I memorised it all in like an hour.

oh I’m the opposite I’m doing MacCaig poems and I think it will go better than the critical essay, I’m doing prose for the critical essay. So if you happen to see what the poem is for MacCaig or essay questions lmk 😂
Reply 8
Original post by RaggaMuffin49
oh I’m the opposite I’m doing MacCaig poems and I think it will go better than the critical essay, I’m doing prose for the critical essay. So if you happen to see what the poem is for MacCaig or essay questions lmk 😂

I've got my prelim at 9 tmrw, I'll try to remember to come on here and let you know what the MacCaig poem is as that's what I've studied. What genre are you doing for your essay? I'm doing prose fiction so if you're doing that as well I may be able to at least remember the gist of the questions.
Original post by fema135
I've got my prelim at 9 tmrw, I'll try to remember to come on here and let you know what the MacCaig poem is as that's what I've studied. What genre are you doing for your essay? I'm doing prose fiction so if you're doing that as well I may be able to at least remember the gist of the questions.

I’m doing prose fiction as well! That would be so helpful, thank you so much and good luck!! 🤞🏻
Reply 10

I’m doing prose fiction as well! That would be so helpful, thank you so much and good luck!! 🤞🏻

Hiya sorry for replying so late, the MacCaig poem is Brooklyn Cop and the commonality is about a connection between a person and a place (in answered with Aunt Julia but I know a lot of people who did assisi)
The essay questions are:
4. A character who is unwilling/unable to trust
5. An important social or moral issue
6. A novel with there is significance to the narration or setting or symbolism (answer focussing on one mainly)
Reply 11
Original post by fema135
Hiya sorry for replying so late, the MacCaig poem is Brooklyn Cop and the commonality is about a connection between a person and a place (in answered with Aunt Julia but I know a lot of people who did assisi)
The essay questions are:
6. A novel with there is significance to the narration or setting or symbolism (answer focussing on one mainly)

Hi, do you possibly know what carol ann duffy poem it was and was it the P & N 2024 paper ?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by HigherZ2
Original post by fema135
The essay questions are:

Hi, do you possibly know what carol ann duffy poem it was?

No clue, sorry. No one doing higher this year at my school is doing duffy so the teachers just removed those pages of the question paper.
Original post by fema135
The essay questions are:

Thank you so much!! I am happy with Brooklyn Cop but I’m not sure about the 10 marker 😂 I might try and write about how MacCaig isn't a fan of New York in Hotel Room 12th floor and maybe also about St Francis in Assisi but I’m not sure. All of the essay questions are good as well tbh, what one did you go with?
Reply 14
Original post by fema135
The essay questions are:

Thank you so much!! I am happy with Brooklyn Cop but I’m not sure about the 10 marker 😂 I might try and write about how MacCaig isn't a fan of New York in Hotel Room 12th floor and maybe also about St Francis in Assisi but I’m not sure. All of the essay questions are good as well tbh, what one did you go with?

I did the social and moral issue question. My text is the Great Gatsby so it's a really good question to show up for me. I did a practice essay in class about a character who's isolated and got 19/20, my teacher told me I could kinda rework that essay into most of the common questions including the social/moral issue one. I'm hoping I did a good job hanging it during the prelim but it felt less well written so not really sure how I've done on it
What question did you do/are you thinking of doing?
Original post by ZK40
Hi, has anyone done the P&N prelim this year, i'm really struggling with the Scottish text as i'm doing Carol Ann Duffy poems. Can somebody please help me.

I know this isn't the same as higher, but I just got my nat 5 english prelim results and I got full marks on both my textual analysis and my critical essay (90% overall, im buzzing). I also did Carol Ann Duffy for my T.A. I found the annotations that my teacher put on the board extremely helpful, I would highlight maybe like 4 of them and memorise them, what they suggest etc. Idk if that's much help, this is my first time on this forum (and my first ever post/response) eek x
Original post by fema135

I did the social and moral issue question. My text is the Great Gatsby so it's a really good question to show up for me. I did a practice essay in class about a character who's isolated and got 19/20, my teacher told me I could kinda rework that essay into most of the common questions including the social/moral issue one. I'm hoping I did a good job hanging it during the prelim but it felt less well written so not really sure how I've done on it
What question did you do/are you thinking of doing?
I think I will do the narration question as that’s the only one we have done in class so it’s lucky it came up, I am really bad at critical essays though I got 13/20 and my teacher didn’t give great feedback he just said about how I could expand my evaluation. So 19 is really impressive even if you dropped a couple marks that would still be great!! Do you have any advice on how I could improve mine in general ?
Original post by tanith bavaird
I know this isn't the same as higher, but I just got my nat 5 english prelim results and I got full marks on both my textual analysis and my critical essay (90% overall, im buzzing). I also did Carol Ann Duffy for my T.A. I found the annotations that my teacher put on the board extremely helpful, I would highlight maybe like 4 of them and memorise them, what they suggest etc. Idk if that's much help, this is my first time on this forum (and my first ever post/response) eek x

Well done that’s amazing!!! Do u mind sending what quotes u used ? :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending