The Student Room Group

study motivation & a little advice for A Level students

this is for you to read when you feel unmotivated, so make a note of this advice - whatever you feel is best for you.

first of all, i recommend watching this video: watch this when you need motivation - YouTube (it will really help you out)

now, i want you to remind yourself of your goals: why are you studying A Levels? why do you want to get into your desired university? think of it as this: knowledge is power, and by you studying to achieve your goal - you are already closer to becoming an academic powerhouse! if you have not already, make sure your goals are easy to access - so when you may feel like this again, you always have them to go back to.

it is never too late. i know in the back of your mind, you are like 'I've screwed up now - that's the end', but it's not. If you don't/didn't do as well as you hoped so, then you might see it as a failure. But failure is good in life, because it teaches you not to make the same mistakes. Again, you are one step closer to absolutely smashing it!

i also want you to remember that it is discipline that leads to motivation, not the other way round! and as i have learnt, discipline is self-love. you are being disciplined because you know the good that is about to come from this. you put your phone down because you know that this study session you are about to complete will contribute to your academic success. you get to work.

a really good app i recommend to start focusing and feeling more motivated is Flora (Flora - Green Focus (appfinca.com))
website: LifeAt: Your immersive workspace for task management & deep focus

go and check them out now!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
people also ask, 'How much should I revise per day?' or 'When did you start revising?'

1) how much: think about how much time you are taught in school per subject. this is ideally the amount of time you should spend doing the subject outside of school (e.g. each of my subjects have 5hrs lesson time per week, therefore I study for 4-5 hours extra for each week - and I spread this out per week)
2) how often: i do 1hr for each subject a day. I do 2 subjects each day, 4 times per week (hence 5 hours) and I leave one day free to do homework. This is my example:

monday - psychology, sociology

tuesday - psychology, spanish

wednesday - psychology, spanish

thursday - spanish, sociology

friday - psychology, sociology

sunday - spanish, sociology

when should you start revising: perhaps leave 1-2 weeks to recover from your mock exams, and then start the grind!! this should give you 4-5 months to really get into good habits!

one last bit of motivation:
your future self already exists. just remember that - they are waiting for you to start now and make them proud :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
if you found this helpful or just want to ask me something, feel free to send me a private message! happy to help :smile:
Original post by emm4nuella
this is for you to read when you feel unmotivated, so make a note of this advice - whatever you feel is best for you.

first of all, i recommend watching this video: watch this when you need motivation - YouTube (it will really help you out)

now, i want you to remind yourself of your goals: why are you studying A Levels? why do you want to get into your desired university? think of it as this: knowledge is power, and by you studying to achieve your goal - you are already closer to becoming an academic powerhouse! if you have not already, make sure your goals are easy to access - so when you may feel like this again, you always have them to go back to.

it is never too late. i know in the back of your mind, you are like 'I've screwed up now - that's the end', but it's not. If you don't/didn't do as well as you hoped so, then you might see it as a failure. But failure is good in life, because it teaches you not to make the same mistakes. Again, you are one step closer to absolutely smashing it!

i also want you to remember that it is discipline that leads to motivation, not the other way round! and as i have learnt, discipline is self-love. you are being disciplined because you know the good that is about to come from this. you put your phone down because you know that this study session you are about to complete will contribute to your academic success. you get to work.

a really good app i recommend to start focusing and feeling more motivated is Flora (Flora - Green Focus (appfinca.com))
website: LifeAt: Your immersive workspace for task management & deep focus

go and check them out now!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
people also ask, 'How much should I revise per day?' or 'When did you start revising?'

1) how much: think about how much time you are taught in school per subject. this is ideally the amount of time you should spend doing the subject outside of school (e.g. each of my subjects have 5hrs lesson time per week, therefore I study for 4-5 hours extra for each week - and I spread this out per week)
2) how often: i do 1hr for each subject a day. I do 2 subjects each day, 4 times per week (hence 5 hours) and I leave one day free to do homework. This is my example:

monday - psychology, sociology

tuesday - psychology, spanish

wednesday - psychology, spanish

thursday - spanish, sociology

friday - psychology, sociology

sunday - spanish, sociology

when should you start revising: perhaps leave 1-2 weeks to recover from your mock exams, and then start the grind!! this should give you 4-5 months to really get into good habits!

one last bit of motivation:
your future self already exists. just remember that - they are waiting for you to start now and make them proud :smile:

I would like to add this as former A-level student:

Use website blockers to block all unnecessary websites.

If you can't control using the phone, just keep it at zero charge.

When you want to start studying, spend 60 seconds just to get ready, like getting out the pencil case, getting out the notebooks etc.

Use the Pomodoro technique of 25 min study period, 5 minute break, 15 minute long break, every 4 Pomodoro have a long break. Longer or shorter, up to you.

But if you really struggle to get started, tell yourself you will study for five minutes first, after getting ready. Then add it up when you feel ready.

Don't think you have plenty of time - conversely don't think you have too little time. Otherwise you may procrastinate (maybe you think you got this in the bag, or you are very scared of failing anyway, respectively).
Reply 3
Original post by emm4nuella
if you found this helpful or just want to ask me something, feel free to send me a private message! happy to help :smile:

Thank you so much
What subjects do u do ??
Original post by 670351

Thank you so much
What subjects do u do ??

psych socio and Spanish
How is psychology A level? - Easy,Hard,fun,etc?
Original post by FM-LovesOxford
How is psychology A level? - Easy,Hard,fun,etc?

quite content heavy but apart from that enjoyable

Quick Reply

Latest