The Student Room Group

Study help..?

Okay, I'm a second-year law student and I procrastinate a lot when it comes to doing work which is not good. Does anyone know any good studying technic that will actually help me to focus, and not just memorize things but also remember them?
If you know, please help me out!!!
Original post by nova.a5
Okay, I'm a second-year law student and I procrastinate a lot when it comes to doing work which is not good. Does anyone know any good studying technic that will actually help me to focus, and not just memorize things but also remember them?
If you know, please help me out!!!

Hi there!

I'm a third year student studying Primary Ed and I also procrastinate more often than I would like. I have found a couple techniques which have helped me focus and build motivation to continue working. However, these won't work for everyone as people are different and require different settings to work well in. Personally, I get distracted by noise and people, therefore, I like to take my studies to an environment where I will be less distracted by external things. I tend to go to my university library but specifically to the silent study area because nobody can speak to me and people who wish to work undisturbed go there. I find that when I am surrounded by other people who are working hard but not paying me attention, I am more motivated to work also. I have also tried downloading apps which have consequences if you choose to go on your phone when you're supposed to be working. The current one which is working well is a forest one where you can grow a tree but it will die if you go off the app. You can also set a timer for the tree to grow so that you can create breaks for yourself. This next one is slightly strange- when I was revising for my A levels, I would set my phone up in front of me playing a video of someone studying on youtube. This eliminated the issue of my phone being a distraction and helped me to be motivated to focus because the person in front of me was. Those are techniques which have worked for me but I hope that you manage to find something that works for you! This might be setting a timer on your phone to work and sectioning out times for breaks which you have to adhere to, or something more relaxed by creating an incentive for yourself.

In terms of remembering information, I think that engaging with the info fully is really important. I would attempt to explain something in my own words aloud to either myself, a voice recorder, or a friend/family member. When put into a situation where you are expected to teach something, you are more likely to fully understand the topic and therefore remember it afterwards. You could also try that technique where you write in one column everything that you currently remember about a topic and then everything you don't on the other side so that you know where to target your revision.

I hope these helped even just a little bit. I understand how difficult it can be to build motivation to begin working on assignments but I'm sure you'll figure out a technique which works best for you with time! Good luck to you in your second year!

Rachel- York St John Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel_ysj
Hi there!

I'm a third year student studying Primary Ed and I also procrastinate more often than I would like. I have found a couple techniques which have helped me focus and build motivation to continue working. However, these won't work for everyone as people are different and require different settings to work well in. Personally, I get distracted by noise and people, therefore, I like to take my studies to an environment where I will be less distracted by external things. I tend to go to my university library but specifically to the silent study area because nobody can speak to me and people who wish to work undisturbed go there. I find that when I am surrounded by other people who are working hard but not paying me attention, I am more motivated to work also. I have also tried downloading apps which have consequences if you choose to go on your phone when you're supposed to be working. The current one which is working well is a forest one where you can grow a tree but it will die if you go off the app. You can also set a timer for the tree to grow so that you can create breaks for yourself. This next one is slightly strange- when I was revising for my A levels, I would set my phone up in front of me playing a video of someone studying on youtube. This eliminated the issue of my phone being a distraction and helped me to be motivated to focus because the person in front of me was. Those are techniques which have worked for me but I hope that you manage to find something that works for you! This might be setting a timer on your phone to work and sectioning out times for breaks which you have to adhere to, or something more relaxed by creating an incentive for yourself.

In terms of remembering information, I think that engaging with the info fully is really important. I would attempt to explain something in my own words aloud to either myself, a voice recorder, or a friend/family member. When put into a situation where you are expected to teach something, you are more likely to fully understand the topic and therefore remember it afterwards. You could also try that technique where you write in one column everything that you currently remember about a topic and then everything you don't on the other side so that you know where to target your revision.

I hope these helped even just a little bit. I understand how difficult it can be to build motivation to begin working on assignments but I'm sure you'll figure out a technique which works best for you with time! Good luck to you in your second year!

Rachel- York St John Student Rep

Those are all amazing advices, thank you so mcu. I will try out your technices and also i will try the game you suggested.
Original post by nova.a5
Those are all amazing advices, thank you so mcu. I will try out your technices and also i will try the game you suggested.

That's okay! I hope you find something that works for you! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending