The Student Room Group

Motivation

In September i started my A-levels and it's been so hard to motivate myself to actually study for the tests I have, ever since I finished my GCSEs. The only tests I've had so far have been end of unit tests, which I know matter but I don't feel like I've been prioritising them as much as I should.
I'm getting a bit anxious about this mindset I seem to have adopted, because I've got my winter mocks next month, which are a big deal.
Motivation has been really hard for me partially because I have no future plans. I dont really know what career id like or what university course i want. My a-level choices dont particularly narrow it down either (im doing Biology, Chemistry, English Language and German)
Does anyone have any advice on how I can motivate myself to actually study?.
Reply 1
Original post by Bearbee
In September i started my A-levels and it's been so hard to motivate myself to actually study for the tests I have, ever since I finished my GCSEs. The only tests I've had so far have been end of unit tests, which I know matter but I don't feel like I've been prioritising them as much as I should.
I'm getting a bit anxious about this mindset I seem to have adopted, because I've got my winter mocks next month, which are a big deal.
Motivation has been really hard for me partially because I have no future plans. I dont really know what career id like or what university course i want. My a-level choices dont particularly narrow it down either (im doing Biology, Chemistry, English Language and German)

Hi Bearbee,
I am in year 13, i was in somewhat a similar situation to you. Even now i sometimes don't feel motivation. However i have some tips for you:

research possibilities for careers, i became slightly obsessed and panicked about this which i don't recommend but if you find a field(not exact career) that you have interest right now, even if you change your mind- like you do biology so maybe marine biology or education ect. It will hep build motivation.

fill your time with other things so when you are free, you are forced to study. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week because i love it but it also means when i get home after i have to do work before i sleep. See friends on the weekend and study in the morning or evening.

Figure out when you study best- i am a late night studier so 7-11 but i have friends that wake up at 4 to do it but sleep at 8.30. up to you. then fill your schedule around it.

create to do lists for the week or day so that you feel guilt if you don't do it but satisfaction when you tick it off. This way, if you complete your to do list you wont feel anxious when you go to sleep.

surround yourself with academic achievers that work hard if you can. i am someone who feels secondary pressure- maybe you will too??

doo little and often- no matter what people tell you, YOU DO NOT NEED TO STUDY MORE THAN 2-3 HOURS A DAY outside of school. obviously it depends if you have learning difficulties or are not efficient but realistically in the evening try to spend an hour or 2 on homework and another hour or 2 on revision. you will be more than set if you do this.

I am no perfect student by any means trust me, i still occasionally fail a topic test but i have all predicted A-A* and this is just what my friends and school and parents told me and it helped.
oki byeeee- Ive spoken for wayyy too long
Reply 2
Original post by Bearbee

I understand your situation since I was in the same position as you last year. Is there a particular job you want to do? or university courses? Due to my lack of motivation to study last year, it didn't go well, so I'm currently repeating Year 12, and I don't regret it as I have a clear mind of what I want to do for university and career wise. Start by researching careers that you want to do, and think it backward (such as, where you want to end up and what grades or subjects are required for it).

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by laraedmo
Hi Bearbee,
I am in year 13, i was in somewhat a similar situation to you. Even now i sometimes don't feel motivation. However i have some tips for you:

research possibilities for careers, i became slightly obsessed and panicked about this which i don't recommend but if you find a field(not exact career) that you have interest right now, even if you change your mind- like you do biology so maybe marine biology or education ect. It will hep build motivation.

fill your time with other things so when you are free, you are forced to study. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week because i love it but it also means when i get home after i have to do work before i sleep. See friends on the weekend and study in the morning or evening.

Figure out when you study best- i am a late night studier so 7-11 but i have friends that wake up at 4 to do it but sleep at 8.30. up to you. then fill your schedule around it.

create to do lists for the week or day so that you feel guilt if you don't do it but satisfaction when you tick it off. This way, if you complete your to do list you wont feel anxious when you go to sleep.

surround yourself with academic achievers that work hard if you can. i am someone who feels secondary pressure- maybe you will too??

doo little and often- no matter what people tell you, YOU DO NOT NEED TO STUDY MORE THAN 2-3 HOURS A DAY outside of school. obviously it depends if you have learning difficulties or are not efficient but realistically in the evening try to spend an hour or 2 on homework and another hour or 2 on revision. you will be more than set if you do this.

I am no perfect student by any means trust me, i still occasionally fail a topic test but i have all predicted A-A* and this is just what my friends and school and parents told me and it helped.
oki byeeee- Ive spoken for wayyy too long

Thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by Shinei17
I understand your situation since I was in the same position as you last year. Is there a particular job you want to do? or university courses? Due to my lack of motivation to study last year, it didn't go well, so I'm currently repeating Year 12, and I don't regret it as I have a clear mind of what I want to do for university and career wise. Start by researching careers that you want to do, and think it backward (such as, where you want to end up and what grades or subjects are required for it).

Hope this helps!

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest