The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Support I received at university | student blog

Hi, I'm Maleehah. 😊👋 I'm in my third-year of studying LLB Law at Bradford and I'm currently on my placement year at the Government Legal Department. In my blog, I'll show you how to navigate your support system at the University of Bradford.

Personal Academic Tutor
My Personal Academic Tutor has been very responsive to me since I started at the University of Bradford, in both my professional and academic development. She has helped me with modules I have studied and she has also given me advice on assignments.

She has been of great support to me in mock trials, my placements, my degree and extracurriculars.

Always make sure to contact your Personal Academic Tutor!

Career and Employability Services
Knowledge about careers is your second tool at university. You need to ensure your employability skills are equivalent to your academics. It is the soft skills that help you get jobs. Ensure you gain experience throughout your university years.

The University of Bradford's Career and Employability Services has been a great service to utilise in my job applications.

Since enrolling at Bradford, I have made many in-person and virtual appointments with Career Advisors for advice on CVs, cover letters, mock interviews and preparation for assessment centres.

Alex, a member of staff in the Career and Employability Services, has helped me so much in my mock interviews with employers. I did a few practice sessions with him, and it helped me secure a placement position within the Government Legal Department.
The style of questions and making sure I understood the organisation helped me prepare for interviews.

Shereen, another member of staff in the Career and Employability Services, helped me with my CV and cover letters. She reviewed my applications and gave me feedback to ensure they were strong before I applied for the role. Again, she helped me secure a summer internship with a law firm.

I am grateful for the Career and Employability Services as before I asked for their help, I had no clue how job applications, interviews and recruitment worked. I feel like I now have a better approach to my career.

Students' Union
Currently, I am doing a placement year in Leeds. My two years at the University of Bradford, in terms of support, has mainly been from the Students' Union services.

Last year, I was able to work as a receptionist in the Students' Union and I got to hold executive positions within the UBU Council. I was sent on Kickstart training to support this role and it gave me empowerment. I received Council Member of the Year 2023. It was an honour to receive this as my work as an executive and willingness to learn within the UBU was praised. I hope to return to UBU in my final year.

This support has helped me in my current role as a Civil Servant.

The staff at the Students' Union have helped me through my highs and lows. It has been worthwhile having them in my university years so far.
The Students' Union offers so many helplines in the advice centre to help you with things relating to your welfare, housing, personal matters and student experience. If you're ever feeling lost or need anyone to talk to, the Students' Union services are a great help. Make use of them!

Overall, make use of the Students' Union, Personal Academic Tutors and the Career and Employability Services whilst at university. Your support is more than just attending lectures, it is the extracurricular and employability support that you must utilise.

We're always on hand to support you and we want you to get the most from your time at Bradford. If you're in need of advice or want to get involved, discover the support available to you.

Student-life.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending