The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is it bad that I got a Contextual Offer from Durham?

I just got a Contextual Offer from Durham University requiring my grades to be BBB.

I have applied for Classics which has a requirement of AAA and my predicted grades are A*AB.

I'm not sure how to feel, I'm extremely happy to have such an offer but don't know if I should be proud of getting it.
Reply 1
Original post by StaticVoid!!
I just got a Contextual Offer from Durham University requiring my grades to be BBB.

I have applied for Classics which has a requirement of AAA and my predicted grades are A*AB.

I'm not sure how to feel, I'm extremely happy to have such an offer but don't know if I should be proud of getting it.

Hi There!!!
I don’t think there’s any shame in getting a contextual offer, most likely it could be something to do with your school or where you live meaning it’s completely out of your control, as there are certain areas that almost guarantee automatic contextual offers if not many people from said area end up going to uni.
Have you gotten any other contextual offers that could explain that?? The strength of your application could also play a big part, as grades are always everything if you have done a lot of other things like online courses etc. either way you have earned your offer and don’t have anything to be ashamed or embarrassed of, congratulations!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rubyumbum
Hi There!!!
I don’t think there’s any shame in getting a contextual offer, most likely it could be something to do with your school or where you live meaning it’s completely out of your control, as there are certain areas that almost guarantee automatic contextual offers if not many people from said area end up going to uni.
Have you gotten any other contextual offers that could explain that?? The strength of your application could also play a big part, as grades are always everything if you have done a lot of other things like online courses etc. either way you have earned your offer and don’t have anything to be ashamed or embarrassed of, congratulations!!

That's the strange part, I didn't receive contextual offers from the other unis I applied to (Glasgow, Warwick, Nottingham and Reading)

Reading gave me a lower offer but that was because of my EPQ.

I hope I earned it! I'm extremely happy but unsure if I should actually feel like I earned it.
Reply 3
Original post by rubyumbum
Hi There!!!

That's the strange part, I didn't receive contextual offers from the other unis I applied to (Glasgow, Warwick, Nottingham and Reading)

Reading gave me a lower offer but that was because of my EPQ.

I hope I earned it! I'm extremely happy but unsure if I should actually feel like I earned it.

ohhh i see, yeah does seem strange
honestly i was in a similar position as my school made a mistake with my predicted grades and put me as AAC instead of A*A*B, yet i still received full offers for birmingham and sheffield’s law course (AAA) and just felt totally undeserving as i completely missed the mark with the C. i spoke to my form tutor and he told me most likely was due to the strength of my application/ extra curriculars that i got the places so i can imagine your EPQ helped similarly - all the more to be proud of !
Reply 4

hi there, I know its a month later but thought I would also add to this.
I also applied to Durham for Classics and got a contextual offer for BBB. My predicted grades are A*A*A*, so I was also confused about how to feel as the offer had been lowered so much. You should absolutely feel proud of getting the offer- just because its contextual doesn't mean they don't want us or value us less- view it as the opposite! It's a huge achievement to get an offer from Durham, regardless of circumstances. So many of my friends have got rejected from Durham in the past week or been offered extremely high grade requirements so I have even felt a little guilty because of such a low offer....
If you ever want to chat sometime let me know:smile: it's nice knowing there are other Classics offer holders with similar circumstances surrounding our requirements.
Reply 5
ur chatting
Each uni sets its own criteria for contextual offers, that's why you got one from Durham but not from others. My son is in the same position. it may well be down to your post-code, not you personally. As to how you should feel - why would you be anything but delighted to have received a lower offer for a brilliant university?
You should just be proud. Well done!
You’ve got an easier way of getting into Durham so who cares 💀 and uni offers are not things to be either proud or ashamed of. When you get to uni nobody cares or asks about how you got there

Quick Reply

Latest