The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham contextual offers

Hello,
I have complete a summer school at the university of Durham, so i get contextual offers (AAB for my course). However I am predicted ABB. The reduced grade is already 2 grades lower than my contextual offer (normal offerr is A*AA) , so would there be any point in applying?
Reply 1
Original post by lola2468
Hello,
I have complete a summer school at the university of Durham, so i get contextual offers (AAB for my course). However I am predicted ABB. The reduced grade is already 2 grades lower than my contextual offer (normal offerr is A*AA) , so would there be any point in applying?

Yes there would be a point in applying, the unis know these are only predicted grades and someone predicted ABB could end up with AAB which would be fine as you qualify for a contextual offer. I'm not guaranteeing you would get an offer but it's definitely worth a shot if it is your favourite uni. If they give you an offer it will probably be AAB though so only apply if you feel honestly that you could improve one of the Bs to an A on a good day.

Also, if you Firm a uni at AAB make sure your Insurance uni is ABB or lower.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hello! I hope you had a lovely time at your summer school! I went last year and had the time of my life, now super excited to be heading to Durham this September. In terms of your question, 100% apply. Last year the contextual offer was guaranteed and I'm 99% certain that this meant that everyone got an offer (which should also be 2 grades lower) no matter what (this doesn't mean don't put effort into your application though!). I obviously don't know how the system works exactly, but from how I interpreted it we were guaranteed an offer two grades lower, rather than guaranteed that our offer would be two grades lower if we achieved it (I hope that makes sense lol). I can't promise anything, and it might have changed since last year, but its still definitely worth applying. If you are determined and dedicated throughout the next year you may well exceed that offer. Don't limit yourself, its not bad to apply above your predicted grades for one uni, especially as this one is likely to accept you. As someone has already said, make sure to apply to secure backup unis and have one you feel confident achieving as an insurance. But other than that, if you want to go to Durham, go for it!

I hope that helps you and I wish you the very very best of luck. Let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with!
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
Yes there would be a point in applying, the unis know these are only predicted grades and someone predicted ABB could end up with AAB which would be fine as you qualify for a contextual offer. I'm not guaranteeing you would get an offer but it's definitely worth a shot if it is your favourite uni. If they give you an offer it will probably be AAB though so only apply if you feel honestly that you could improve one of the Bs to an A on a good day.

Also, if you Firm a uni at AAB make sure your Insurance uni is ABB or lower.

Thank you so much !
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hello! I hope you had a lovely time at your summer school! I went last year and had the time of my life, now super excited to be heading to Durham this September. In terms of your question, 100% apply. Last year the contextual offer was guaranteed and I'm 99% certain that this meant that everyone got an offer (which should also be 2 grades lower) no matter what (this doesn't mean don't put effort into your application though!). I obviously don't know how the system works exactly, but from how I interpreted it we were guaranteed an offer two grades lower, rather than guaranteed that our offer would be two grades lower if we achieved it (I hope that makes sense lol). I can't promise anything, and it might have changed since last year, but its still definitely worth applying. If you are determined and dedicated throughout the next year you may well exceed that offer. Don't limit yourself, its not bad to apply above your predicted grades for one uni, especially as this one is likely to accept you. As someone has already said, make sure to apply to secure backup unis and have one you feel confident achieving as an insurance. But other than that, if you want to go to Durham, go for it!

I hope that helps you and I wish you the very very best of luck. Let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with!

Congratulations on Durham!
In terms of your offer, did your predicted grades meet your contextual offer grades?
Original post by lola2468
Congratulations on Durham!
In terms of your offer, did your predicted grades meet your contextual offer grades?

Hello, yes they did. Who was your summer school with? You might be able to get in contact with them to confirm the details for your offer!

Quick Reply

Latest