The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Rejection

I got A*A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History, but I got rejected last week only through an Email from UCAS and nothing from Durham itself. I applied for Economics with Management and am unsure why I got rejected, what’s the most likely reason, and is it still possible that I get into Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhilKriv
I got A*A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History, but I got rejected last week only through an Email from UCAS and nothing from Durham itself. I applied for Economics with Management and am unsure why I got rejected, what’s the most likely reason, and is it still possible that I get into Edinburgh?

i am confident you will get into Edinburgh which is a bit less selective and you will have been borderline.

first question: did you go to a private or grammar school?

second question: why did you have completed A levels rather than predicted grades? what have you spent the last year doing?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i am confident you will get into Edinburgh which is a bit less selective and you will have been borderline.

second question: why did you have completed A levels rather than predicted grades? what have you spent the last year doing?

Private school and they’re predicted grades
no
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by HaseebAhmad
no

Why no?
yeah no i was just saying no jus the sake of it, you will most definitely be sucessful
Private school and they’re predicted grades

ok so private school is the main answer.

the next question i would have asked are your GCSEs as indicators of how realistic your predicted grades are (any teacher can predict an A*). if you got all 9s then it will have been your personal statement
Reply 7

the next question i would have asked are your GCSEs as indicators of how realistic your predicted grades are (any teacher can predict an A*). if you got all 9s then it will have been your personal statement

I got mostly 8s and 9s in GCSE. Also, I only got a rejection on UCAS and nothing from Durham. Does Durham usually send rejection emails?

I’d assume the reason for your rejection would have to be due to your personal statement. Due to your strong projected grades and GCSE's, which are definitely good enough for Durham while also being good fits for your course, It may just be that the course is extremely competitive compared to previous years. However, I am doubtful of that, as I know someone from my year received an offer from Durham for Accounting and Finance at BBB with mediocre GCSE’s (6s and 7s for the most part) without doing A-level math. With those projected grades, as long as your personal statement is okay, Edinburgh would most likely be happy to take you.
With strong academics the most likely reason is that other candidates had stronger personal statements.

You can always email them to ask for feedback.
Reply 10
Check the UCAS decision again - Durham will have provided a reason for not offering you, as detailed here:

https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/how-to-apply/decisions-and-replies/if-you-are-unsuccessful/

I got rejected due to High level of competition last year - not sure at the time whether to take that as a compliment or a kick-in-the-teeth lolg
Reply 11

So I applied for Computer Science and I am predicted 5 A*s (Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and EPQ), 9999999988 at GCSE with the 8s in English Literature and RS, and I must have a decent personal statement at the very least because I got into far more competitive courses at Imperial, Edinburgh and Manchester. I too attend a private school but out of the 6 Durham CS applicants at my school, only one has received an offer so far and everyone else is still waiting (that offer was ABB!!).

I'm not sure what's wrong with my application here. What do you think is the problem with my application?
Reply 12
The ABB offer could be contextual….even within a private school. Often you don’t know all the personal circumstances in someone’s life. Contextual offers often go out first.

Not sure if you’ve actually been rejected or are just waiting to hear, If the latter, you may well get an offer sooner or later.
Original post by vnayak
So I applied for Computer Science and I am predicted 5 A*s (Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and EPQ), 9999999988 at GCSE with the 8s in English Literature and RS, and I must have a decent personal statement at the very least because I got into far more competitive courses at Imperial, Edinburgh and Manchester. I too attend a private school but out of the 6 Durham CS applicants at my school, only one has received an offer so far and everyone else is still waiting (that offer was ABB!!).

I'm not sure what's wrong with my application here. What do you think is the problem with my application?

"I too attend a private school" you answered it yourself...
Reply 14

Edinburgh is just as selective as Durham for this course and probably for many courses. Edinburgh will be more competitive than Durham for some courses.
Also, historically, Edinburgh has been known to favour Scottish students.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Picnicl
Edinburgh is just as selective as Durham for this course and probably for many courses. Edinburgh will be more competitive than Durham for some courses.
Also, historically, Edinburgh has been known to favour Scottish students.

quite the opposite. Scots get in Scot free so they prefer English students who pay £££, but Scottish places are capped under a quota scheme. do you have applications statistics? there prob isn't much in it tbf
Reply 16
Original post by Wombat11
The ABB offer could be contextual….even within a private school. Often you don’t know all the personal circumstances in someone’s life. Contextual offers often go out first.

Not sure if you’ve actually been rejected or are just waiting to hear, If the latter, you may well get an offer sooner or later.

yeah sorry for the lack of clarification, I've not received anything but the volume of offers that have been sent out is making me think that I've been put on the 'reject' pile or 'on hold/soon to be rejected' pile.

the ABB offer isn't contextual because they told me that they aren't contextual, they haven't filled out a form of any sort and we go to a fee-paying school. Additionally, they live in an extremely well off area and they don't have any unfortunate situations at home either.
Original post by vnayak
yeah sorry for the lack of clarification, I've not received anything but the volume of offers that have been sent out is making me think that I've been put on the 'reject' pile or 'on hold/soon to be rejected' pile.

the ABB offer isn't contextual because they told me that they aren't contextual, they haven't filled out a form of any sort and we go to a fee-paying school. Additionally, they live in an extremely well off area and they don't have any unfortunate situations at home either.

Well universities do have until may to respond
Original post by vnayak

I'm very jealous not gonna lie, they give me an 666 (AAA) offer, would love a 655 (ABB) offer 😕 I think it's impossible to not be contextual offer, either an accident or they just don't tell you.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest