The Student Room Group

Accounting Career Transition in the UK: AAT or ACCA? Seeking Advice!

I recently relocated to England and am currently thinking whether to pursue AAT or ACCA, but I'm unsure which qualification would be the best fit for me.

Here's a bit about my background:

- I'm originally from Asia and got my bachelor's degree there, although my major wasn't related to accountancy.

- I have 2 years of experience in accounting, including daily operations, monthly and yearly end-closing, and corporate tax returns. I also have 6 years of experience in taxation, focusing on corporate tax returns and transfer pricing documentation. We used Oracle EBS as the accounting system at my previous company.

- I've passed a accounting qualification in my country in the past, equivalent to AAT level 3.

- Currently, I'm volunteering in the accounting department of a small organisation in England to gain UK experience, although the tasks are quite easy . So unfortunately I do not have any UK experience such as bank reconciliations, journal entries, expense settlements, and issuing invoices.

Although I have some experience in the field, it's primarily related to my country, and I'm not familiar with IFRS or any UK standards/laws.

My goal is to secure a job in accountancy at a local company/organisation. I'm considering applying for entry-level positions, as I'm concerned that UK companies may not recognise my pastse experience (Some local companies called me about my CV but the conversation ended as soon as they found out I don't have any UK experience).

I've noticed that many entry-level positions require AAT level 2 rather than ACCA. However, there's also a long-term recommendation to pursue ACCA. I'm unsure whether to take an applied knowledge subject first or AAT level 2 for an entry-level position. Additionally, I'm concerned that pursuing ACCA might make me seem overqualified for entry-level positions.

My top priority at the moment is to secure a job as soon as possible and gain experience while working towards higher qualifications. I'm not looking to spend too much time focusing on qualifications before landing a job.

In terms of my career aspirations, I'm not aiming to become an accountant at an accounting firm. Instead, I'm more interested in becoming an accounting expert in public services such as the NHS, schools, or city councils. However, I'm also open to positions in private companies to build experience initially.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice or insights on what might be the best path forward.

Thank you!!!
Original post by ringoapple
I recently relocated to England and am currently thinking whether to pursue AAT or ACCA, but I'm unsure which qualification would be the best fit for me.

- I'm originally from Asia and got my bachelor's degree there, although my major wasn't related to accountancy.

- I have 2 years of experience in accounting, including daily operations, monthly and yearly end-closing, and corporate tax returns. I also have 6 years of experience in taxation, focusing on corporate tax returns and transfer pricing documentation. We used Oracle EBS as the accounting system at my previous company.

- I've passed a accounting qualification in my country in the past, equivalent to AAT level 3.

- Currently, I'm volunteering in the accounting department of a small organisation in England to gain UK experience, although the tasks are quite easy . So unfortunately I do not have any UK experience such as bank reconciliations, journal entries, expense settlements, and issuing invoices.

Although I have some experience in the field, it's primarily related to my country, and I'm not familiar with IFRS or any UK standards/laws.

My goal is to secure a job in accountancy at a local company/organisation. I'm considering applying for entry-level positions, as I'm concerned that UK companies may not recognise my pastse experience (Some local companies called me about my CV but the conversation ended as soon as they found out I don't have any UK experience).

I've noticed that many entry-level positions require AAT level 2 rather than ACCA. However, there's also a long-term recommendation to pursue ACCA. I'm unsure whether to take an applied knowledge subject first or AAT level 2 for an entry-level position. Additionally, I'm concerned that pursuing ACCA might make me seem overqualified for entry-level positions.

My top priority at the moment is to secure a job as soon as possible and gain experience while working towards higher qualifications. I'm not looking to spend too much time focusing on qualifications before landing a job.

In terms of my career aspirations, I'm not aiming to become an accountant at an accounting firm. Instead, I'm more interested in becoming an accounting expert in public services such as the NHS, schools, or city councils. However, I'm also open to positions in private companies to build experience initially.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice or insights on what might be the best path forward.

Thank you!!!

If you already have a degree, then I would go straight for the ACCA qualification (entry requirements would usually be a pass at high school level diploma). This applies for any British accounting qualification.
See: https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/qualifications/glance/acca/minimum-entrance.html

If you want something that's considered a more pretigious qualification for accounting in the UK, I would recommend the ACA qualification by ICAEW. It's not as easily transferrable to other countries as ACCA, but you can often get the equivalent of the highest accounting qualification in other countries via some paperwork and obtaining the necessary experience e.g. ACA would be equivalent to CA by ICAI, CPA Canada by CPA Canada.
See: https://www.icaew.com/regulation/qualifications/aca-entry-routes
Whilst you don't need an AAT to get onto either accounting qualifications, an AAT can help you fast track the ACA qualification.

If you specifically want to go into public finance, then the most appropriate qualification for the role would be the CIPFA (see: https://www.cipfa.org/qualifications). As far as I know, the CIPFA doesn't have an equivalent in other countries and it's valid only in the UK. However, you can still go into public finance with ACA or ACCA, and any of the 3 are more than adequate.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
If you already have a degree, then I would go straight for the ACCA qualification (entry requirements would usually be a pass at high school level diploma). This applies for any British accounting qualification.
See: https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/qualifications/glance/acca/minimum-entrance.html

If you want something that's considered a more pretigious qualification for accounting in the UK, I would recommend the ACA qualification by ICAEW. It's not as easily transferrable to other countries as ACCA, but you can often get the equivalent of the highest accounting qualification in other countries via some paperwork and obtaining the necessary experience e.g. ACA would be equivalent to CA by ICAI, CPA Canada by CPA Canada.
See: https://www.icaew.com/regulation/qualifications/aca-entry-routes
Whilst you don't need an AAT to get onto either accounting qualifications, an AAT can help you fast track the ACA qualification.

If you specifically want to go into public finance, then the most appropriate qualification for the role would be the CIPFA (see: https://www.cipfa.org/qualifications). As far as I know, the CIPFA doesn't have an equivalent in other countries and it's valid only in the UK. However, you can still go into public finance with ACA or ACCA, and any of the 3 are more than adequate.

Thank you so much for your informtion! It is really helpful as I have been stuck in the decision for months. I didn't know about CIPFA and would to aim for CIPFA if I could land a job in a public sectors.

Could I ask you one more question? Do you think it is better to do AAT first considering below aspects?

As I mentioned in my original post, my current priority is to get an accounting qualification as soon as possible (hopefully within 6 months) for my CV so that it will give me more opportunity to land a job.

To be honest, I am not sure if I'm determined to pursue ACCA and CIPFA looks more interesting for me (only if I work in the public sector).

Thank you so much for your informtion! It is really helpful as I have been stuck in the decision for months. I didn't know about CIPFA and would to aim for CIPFA if I could land a job in a public sectors.

Could I ask you one more question? Do you think it is better to do AAT first considering below aspects?

As I mentioned in my original post, my current priority is to get an accounting qualification as soon as possible (hopefully within 6 months) for my CV so that it will give me more opportunity to land a job.

To be honest, I am not sure if I'm determined to pursue ACCA and CIPFA looks more interesting for me (only if I work in the public sector).

CIPFA is only really asked for in the public sector. If you want to play your cards safe, then I would go for ACCA or ACA; both should allow you to go in public finance, financial accounting, and management accounting.

Do you think it is better to do AAT first considering below aspects?
Whilst I have no doubt that you can complete AAT Level 3 within 6 months, it's not necessary if you already meet the entry requirements for any UK professional accounting qualification. I would just go straight into the professional accounting qualification that you want.
Even if you only have passed 2 modules in your professional qualification, you would still have credibility and as a good of a standing as if you did AAT Level 3.

You might be able to get away with skipping Level 3 and go straight onto Level 4 considering your experience and qualifications. See: https://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications-and-courses/accounting/level-4-diploma-professional-accounting
It's not really recommended for most people because it's a natural progression on from Level 3 Accounting.

Should you do AAT, you should be able to claim some exemptions from both ACCA and CIPFA. See:
https://www.accaglobal.com/uk/en/help/exemptions-calculator.html (no exemptions for Level 3, but exemption from 3 papers at Level 4)
https://www.cipfa.org/qualifications/professional-accountancy-qualification/entry-routes/aat (at least 2 and up to 3 exemptions at Level 4)

See the papers for all 3 qualifications below:
https://www.cipfa.org/qualifications/professional-accountancy-qualification (12 papers)
https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/student/getting-started/acca-qualification-structure.html (13 papers)
https://www.aat.org.uk/deliver/qualifications/specifications-outlines (4 papers for Level 3 in Accounting and 5 papers for Level 4).

Do note, there is nothing to say that you can't finish one professional accounting qualification, then top up some accounting papers along with adequate experience under an approved accountant to claim certification of another.
See:
https://www.cipfa.org/qualifications/exemptions/exemption-matrix/acca (exemptions from 4 papers)
https://www.accaglobal.com/uk/en/help/exemptions-calculator.html (would not show any exemptions, so it's best to check with ACCA)

The other thing that I would check is whether you have tried to check whether you get any exemptions for ACCA using the qualifications that you already have. Whilst I am confident that your existing qualifications might not get you exemptions with CIFPA, it's prudent to check just in case.

In summary, if you do the AAT at Level 4, you should be able to get exemptions from 3 papers in both accounting qualifications. Having an ACCA won't give you more than exemptions from 4 papers in the CIPFA. Doing the CIPFA won't get you exemptions in the ACCA from the above (but do check since it seems fishy).
Doing AAT Level 3 won't improve you situation because you already meet the entry requirements for both ACCA and CIPFA. If you do the AAT qualification, I would complete the qualification at Level 4 in order for it to contribute to any exemptions in both accounting qualifications.
Reply 4
Which part of the country are you in and how accessible to major centres of employment are you? What salary are you expecting in your first job in the UK - that can make some difference.

You should have a strong enough CV to be very employable. I think your first step before studying anything is to spend 2 days making sure that your CV is suitable for the UK marketplace and you are prepped on job hunting and interview techniques.
Thank you!!!
Given your situation, here's a tailored approach combining your experience with the UK job market:

Prioritize gaining UK accounting experience:

Focus on AAT Level 2: Aim for AAT Level 2 as it provides a foundation in essential UK accounting practices like bank reconciliations, journal entries, and VAT (similar to GST). This aligns well with your current job search targeting entry-level positions.

Highlight transferable skills: Emphasize your existing accounting knowledge, especially your 2 years of experience and the equivalent AAT qualification from your home country.

Network and volunteer: Actively network with professionals in the field, attend industry events, and continue volunteering to showcase your commitment and gain practical UK experience.

Long-term strategy:

Consider ACCA later: While ACCA offers a prestigious path, starting with AAT allows you to enter the job market quicker. You can pursue ACCA later while gaining experience. AAT even offers exemptions for some ACCA exams due to your existing qualifications.

Addressing your concerns:

Limited UK experience: Highlight your willingness to learn and eagerness to adapt to UK accounting practices.

Overqualified for entry-level: AAT Level 2 demonstrates your understanding of core principles without appearing overqualified for most entry-level roles.

Additional recommendations:

Highlight foreign qualifications: Clearly mention your overseas accounting experience and the equivalent qualification in your CV. Briefly explain the similarities with UK practices.

Target relevant positions: Focus your job search on public sector organizations like the NHS, schools, or councils. These sectors often value transferable skills and qualifications.

Here's a summarized approach:

Focus on AAT Level 2: Gain the essential UK accounting foundation.

Secure an entry-level accounting role: Leverage your experience and highlight your willingness to learn.

Gain UK accounting experience: Build your UK-specific skillset in the workplace.

Consider ACCA in the future: Pursue ACCA for career advancement once you have established yourself.

Resources:
By prioritizing gaining UK experience and starting with AAT Level 2, you'll increase your chances of landing an entry-level position and build a strong foundation for your accounting career in the UK. Remember, continuous learning and networking are crucial for success in this field. Thus please check out Learnsignal, I think they are the best & very affordable learning providers
For ACCA: https://www.learnsignal.com/acca
For AAT: https://www.learnsignal.com/aat
Thank you!!!

Hi!

Given your current lack of experience with UK standards, I would suggest that, to build up your UK experience, the AAT Level 3 would be a good starting point to supplement your overseas learning. Once this has been studied, it will be a smooth onwards transition to study either the ACCA or CIPFA (which is more suitable for public sector work).

Hope this helps :-).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending