The Student Room Group

Accounting graduate schemes with unrelated degree and 104 UCAS points

I graduated in 2022 with a 2:1 in Biomedical sciences and have no desire to work in a related field.

I have 104 UCAS points (B in Biology, C in Maths, C in Chemistry), I want to become an accountant but most graduate schemes I have found ask for at least 112 or 120 UCAS points.

In GCSEs I have an A* in Maths, A in English Language, 3 more As, a B, 2 Cs and a D in Spanish.

I don't have any accountancy related work experience.

Is there any point in applying for these 112/120 schemes if I don't have the required UCAS points?

If I don't manage to get into a graduate scheme for 2024, is there any point in waiting until the next years graduate intake or should I look for accounting apprenticeships that put onto AAT instead of straight onto ACA/ACCA?

Or should I self study ACCA to become part qualified then try to get into an entry level accounts job and try to get the company to sponsor my training or simply put myself through the exams whilst getting the accounts experience?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by bignjuicy
I graduated in 2022 with a 2:1 in Biomedical sciences and have no desire to work in a related field.

I have 104 UCAS points (B in Biology, C in Maths, C in Chemistry), I want to become an accountant but most graduate schemes I have found ask for at least 112 or 120 UCAS points.

In GCSEs I have an A* in Maths, A in English Language, 3 more As, a B, 2 Cs and a D in Spanish.

I don't have any accountancy related work experience.

Is there any point in applying for these 112/120 schemes if I don't have the required UCAS points?

If I don't manage to get into a graduate scheme for 2024, is there any point in waiting until the next years graduate intake or should I look for accounting apprenticeships that put onto AAT instead of straight onto ACA/ACCA?

Or should I self study ACCA to become part qualified then try to get into an entry level accounts job and try to get the company to sponsor my training or simply put myself through the exams whilst getting the accounts experience?

Hi there. You clearly know your options here. If you can't enter a graduate scheme due to lack of UCAs points and relevant degree in the industry. You can start ACCA, you will pass the entry requirements as you would need English and Math's results along with other 3 subjects achieved during O levels and A levels. This will be a good start to put your foot in the door of accountancy. I would suggest to get some work experience as you study, the ACCA Careers can help you wit that. You will need 36 months of relevant PER to complete the ACCA and become a member. It is better to start sooner and later. You can either self-study or join the learning providers that will be able to help with the tricky papers, especially at the Strategic professional level. In average it takes around 3-4 years to pass all ACCA exams and become a member. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest