The Student Room Group

Foundation years or access course?

Hello all,

I am a mature 38 year old, I am wanting to go study Physics at Sheffield, I am currently enrolled and about to start college to get my GCSES.

After I finish this course, I wanted to do an Access to HE Science course and then apply for a Physics degree (preferably at sheffield), but I’ve seen people here mention doing a foundation year instead, something Sheffield offers.

Would I be able to get onto a foundation year for a physics degree with just having a few GCSEs in Maths, English and Combined Science, and being a mature student? And would that foundation year prepare me for the proper degree, in terms of maths knowledge etc? Is it the same sort of studying as the access course, covering similar study skills and building up the same key knowledge for the real degree?

Because my initial plan was to do the access course, then move from that into the foundation year, then into the degree. But from what I saw a few people mention here, would that just be a waste of a year, doing the same thing twice over?

Very confused here hah so apologies for all the questions!
Original post by cyrusmaq
Hello all,

I am a mature 38 year old, I am wanting to go study Physics at Sheffield, I am currently enrolled and about to start college to get my GCSES.

After I finish this course, I wanted to do an Access to HE Science course and then apply for a Physics degree (preferably at sheffield), but I’ve seen people here mention doing a foundation year instead, something Sheffield offers.

Would I be able to get onto a foundation year for a physics degree with just having a few GCSEs in Maths, English and Combined Science, and being a mature student? And would that foundation year prepare me for the proper degree, in terms of maths knowledge etc? Is it the same sort of studying as the access course, covering similar study skills and building up the same key knowledge for the real degree?

Because my initial plan was to do the access course, then move from that into the foundation year, then into the degree. But from what I saw a few people mention here, would that just be a waste of a year, doing the same thing twice over?

Very confused here hah so apologies for all the questions!

See the following page: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/physics-foundation-year-bsc-mphys#entryreqs
The entry requirements states that you would require to have at least completed your Level 3 (A Levels, Access, whatever) prior to doing the foundation year. This applies even from the Department of Lifelong Learning: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/dll/entry-requirements

Would I be able to get onto a foundation year for a physics degree with just having a few GCSEs in Maths, English and Combined Science, and being a mature student?
From what I can tell, no. You need a level 3 qualification prior to starting. You can check with the undergrad administrator for the Physics and Astronomy Department of Uni of Sheffield. This should be Sally Merrett. See: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/physics/people/admin/sally-merrett

And would that foundation year prepare me for the proper degree, in terms of maths knowledge etc?
I would hope so, because that's what the foundation year is designed to do. It's level 3 material covering what you would need to go into the degrees that it's designed for, and they are usually designed for the degrees offered by the same university the foundation year is taught at. The topics covered in the maths modules would be in geometry, calculus and algebra.
The modules are found in this section of the page: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/physics-foundation-year-bsc-mphys#modules

Is it the same sort of studying as the access course, covering similar study skills and building up the same key knowledge for the real degree?
Possibly yes, if the Access course has a good number of credits in physics and maths (at least 15 in each subject). However, it would also depend on the specific Access course and what the specific modules you're covering. The Access course you should be looking into would likely be more broad in order to be suitable for other degrees that are asking for similar entry requirements, whereas the foundation year at Sheffield is more tailored to their degree. The important thing is that you have covered the essentials of what you need to prepare for in the degree.
I haven't seen the specific Access course that you intend to do, so I can't comment further.

Yes, because if you have adequate grades in the Access course, you should have covered the necessary material. The foundation year was designed for people who didn't get high enough grades to enroll onto the physics degree.
If you compare the following courses:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/physics-mphys#entryreqs
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/physics-bsc#entryreqs
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/physics-foundation-year-bsc-mphys#entryreqs
...you can see the entry requirements for Access courses are practically the same in terms of content; the main difference is the grade requirements.
If you intend to do an Access course (with the appropriate content) and scored at least 36 at Distinction (all in Maths/Physics units) and 9 at Merit (or 39 Distinctions and 6 Merits for the MPhy), then you should go straight into the Bsc or MPhy. There wouldn't be any point in doing the foundation year.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the reply! It was very helpful and now I have a much better idea about what my plans are and what I need to do!
Original post by cyrusmaq
Thank you so much for the reply! It was very helpful and now I have a much better idea about what my plans are and what I need to do!

You're welcome.

Just as a side note, your age means very little in a university environment.
Reply 4
I would call the uni of the course you wanna do. Load of 40 year olds on my access course didn’t have any gcse above an E. They all got on their uni courses without their gcse and just had their access course certificate.

Personally I would do the access course and then straight on to your degree no foundation needed.

The access course, which I have just completed at a local university in my opinion is far better than doing foundation. My lectures who taught foundation and the access course also said the same thing.

Also massive congratulations on doing all this- going to be tough but worth it!

My access course was Access to Science- tough!

I’m 40, redone my GSCES the year before last. Last year I started an access course which, I have just finished and now starting uni NEXT MONTH YAYYYYYYY. (University of Nottingham)

All I can tell you is wow, best decision of my life and absolutely worth it!!

Any problems message me. :smile:
Original post by Chezer1483
I would call the uni of the course you wanna do. Load of 40 year olds on my access course didn’t have any gcse above an E. They all got on their uni courses without their gcse and just had their access course certificate.

Personally I would do the access course and then straight on to your degree no foundation needed.

The access course, which I have just completed at a local university in my opinion is far better than doing foundation. My lectures who taught foundation and the access course also said the same thing.

I’m 40, redone my GSCES the year before last. Last year I started an access course which, I have just finished and now starting uni NEXT MONTH YAYYYYYYY. (University of Nottingham)

Congrats. Just out of interst, what degree are you doing and which Access course did you do?
Reply 6
Original post by MindMax2000

Congrats. Just out of interst, what degree are you doing and which Access course did you do?

Thank you, I done an access to science and I’ll be doing master of nutrition and dietetics.
Reply 7
Original post by Chezer1483

It’s people like you who have inspired me and given me the confidence to pursue education. I’ve been thinking about it on and off for 15 years, but recently started reading forums like this one and some on Reddit, and it’s the mature students talking about their experiences and what they are doing which has lit a fire under me!

Thank you for your reply! Appreciate it.
Reply 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending