The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Dental hygiene course

Has anyone applied for uni with a more experience based approach more than school/college grades? As a dental nurse of nearly 8 years and lots of experience assisting/gaining knowledge i have taken the plunge and applied to uni for 2023 but i am worried as i am 35, a mother and a wife, am i going to be put to the bottom of the pile for these reasons? i know the unis cant discriminate but i cant help but feel they will think i am not going to be commited.
Hi @Mrs.Rundle2022

Amazing to hear you've applied to uni! Fantastic! What course have you chosen to study? I wonder if our students or staff might help you on our chat platform. Anyone on the platform would be so happy to talk to you. They would be able to tell you about mature students on their course. The staff may even be able to find a mature student on the course to chat with you. https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/chat-to-students

Really hoping we can find someone to reassure you. I think it's fantastic that you've gone for it!

~ Catherine, University of Plymouth
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
My daughter has applied for dental therapy and hygiene at Plymouth , she has been given a date for an interview, she is so very excited but also super scared as she is 18 and obviously no experience, I think as long as you are confident and genuine and sincere everyone will have a fair chance of being accepted, good luck x
The University encourages applications from Dental Nurses to either of our Dental Therapy and Hygiene courses. Entry on to these courses is very competitive, but we hope that you are not deterred as a mature applicant.

You can apply to our BSc (Hons) Dental Therapy and Hygiene B750 (https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bsc-dental-therapy-hygiene) course with:
- a NEBDN Diploma
- plus 2 A Levels graded BB, including Biology.
You would also need 6 GCSE passes (grade C/grade 4 or higher) which must include the following subjects:
- English Language
- Mathematics
- Two Science subjects - either GCSE Double Award Science or two from single award Chemistry, Biology, or Physics

You can also apply to our BSc (Hons) Dental Therapy and Hygiene with Integrated Foundation Year B751 (https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bsc-dental-therapy-and-hygiene-with-integrated-foundation-year) course with:
- 2 years practice experience as a Dental Nurse at the time of application
- 2 years consecutive registration as a Dental Nurse with the GDC at the time of application
You would also need 5 GCSE passes (grade C/grade 4 or higher) which must include the following subjects:
- English Language
- Mathematics
- One Science subject awarded in either Chemistry, Biology, or Physics or Combined Science
Reply 4
I think you’ll be fine! I think being a dental nurse will actually increase your chances of getting into the course, they prefer people with prior knowledge and experience in the dental field as it’s a difficult profession and so they see those who’ve worked in a dental office before as better suited. A lot of dental nurses go into dental hygiene so it’s definitely possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending