The Student Room Group

AQA A Level chemistry

the reaction between 100cm3 of 2.00moldm-3 HCl and excess of magnesium was being investigated by the continuous monitoring method. the volume of gas evolved was being monitored at set intervals as a first step in determining the order of reaction with respect to HCl.

At the point when 200cm3 of gas had been collected what was the molarity of salt in the solution and what was the molarity of the acid
Also what apparatus should i use
Original post by Zahrax321
the reaction between 100cm3 of 2.00moldm-3 HCl and excess of magnesium was being investigated by the continuous monitoring method. the volume of gas evolved was being monitored at set intervals as a first step in determining the order of reaction with respect to HCl.

At the point when 200cm3 of gas had been collected what was the molarity of salt in the solution and what was the molarity of the acid
Also what apparatus should i use

Use the mol of gas to determine the mol of acid reacted and hence the change in concentration.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Use the mol of gas to determine the mol of acid reacted and hence the change in concentration.

I got 0.20mol of HCl
0.1 mol MgCl2
0.02moldm-3 MgCl2
Is this correct?
(edited 2 months ago)
I got 0.20mol of HCl
0.1 mol MgCl2
0.02moldm-3 MgCl2
Is this correct?

You have to use the mol of gas (200/24000) to determine the change in concentraiton
Reply 4
Original post by charco
You have to use the mol of gas (200/24000) to determine the change in concentraiton

What would the correct concentration be? Also where did u get 24000? and isnt moles=conc x vol
(edited 2 months ago)
What would the correct concentration be? Also where did u get 24000? and isnt moles=conc x vol

Moles of gas at RTP = volume(litres)/24
Reply 6
Original post by charco
Moles of gas at RTP = volume(litres)/24

thank you i have figured it out

Quick Reply

Latest