The Student Room Group

Economics Vs Business

My school advised me not to choose the combination of Economics and Business. This may have potential risk if applying the top US universities. So I’m going to drop one of them. Should I drop Economics or Business? And I’m considering to choose Computer science or Media Studies to replace the dropped subject. Any advice?
Reply 1
Is this for alevels ?
Reply 2
Original post by Rose_99
Is this for alevels ?

IGCSE, I’m a Year 9 student
Reply 3
Oh, okay, I would suggest going with the subject you enjoy more . Most universities don't worry too much about the gcse subjects taken just the grades if anything studying both and business will give you a better understandinging of if you want to study either at alevel or uni. You should be looking at what potential alevels you want to take at most or the careers you can get into
Reply 4
Great. Thanks!
Some say in terms of difficulty, Economics is harder than Business. And seems Economics is considered as a core subject, but Business is not. So in case I can manage both, seems Economics is a safe choice.
Original post by lorainlam
IGCSE, I’m a Year 9 student

Realistically it doesn't really matter what you do at this stage so long as you do well in Maths, English and (if you want to go to a good sixth form) the other Ebacc subjects.

That said you should do econ - I did business and hated it. It's not as fun as most people think it is and econ's much more versatile.
Reply 6
So you did both Economics & Business? Yes, I do agree with you Economics is more versatile. Just I heard Business may be a bit easier to get higher marks than Economics. That’s why I couldn’t decide previously; plus I may want to choose Computer Science to replace Business. To me, computer science is challenging
Original post by lorainlam
So you did both Economics & Business? Yes, I do agree with you Economics is more versatile. Just I heard Business may be a bit easier to get higher marks than Economics. That’s why I couldn’t decide previously; plus I may want to choose Computer Science to replace Business. To me, computer science is challenging

I did business and wish I'd done econ.

Business is defo not easy to get good marks in, the exam technique makes no sense

Quick Reply

Latest