The Student Room Group

Rate my A Level combo

Hi, I’m in Year 11 and just about to finalise my option choices. My current plan:
Maths
Further maths
Economics
Geography
Welsh Bacc (compulsory at my Sixth form)

Is this combo good? Manageable workload? FM isn’t actually impossible? What are potential degrees/careers?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Hi, I take Geography, Economics, Maths and Further Maths A levels

I think it is a very good combo as it leaves your options relatively open - you could go on to do any of those subjects at a good uni, although I think that combination lends especially well to an Economics degree.

As for Further Maths, it definitely isn’t impossible by any means - you just need to make sure you are consolidating, and ask the teacher any questions you have instead of just forgetting about the stuff you don’t understand.

But remember, four A levels is a very intense workload, which will be even harder with the Welsh Bacc (tbh idk how much of your time that will take up i dont know anything about it)

I hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by fox473
Hi, I take Geography, Economics, Maths and Further Maths A levels

I think it is a very good combo as it leaves your options relatively open - you could go on to do any of those subjects at a good uni, although I think that combination lends especially well to an Economics degree.

As for Further Maths, it definitely isn’t impossible by any means - you just need to make sure you are consolidating, and ask the teacher any questions you have instead of just forgetting about the stuff you don’t understand.

But remember, four A levels is a very intense workload, which will be even harder with the Welsh Bacc (tbh idk how much of your time that will take up i dont know anything about it)

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much! I have actually been considering doing an econ degree so this is great to hear. Also, that’s a relief re. FM - what year ru in and do you study both maths & FM in parallel or just maths in y12 then FM in y13?
Reply 4
I am in year 12
At my school we study them in parallel
How do they do it at your sixth form/ college?
Reply 5
Original post by fox473
I am in year 12
At my school we study them in parallel
How do they do it at your sixth form/ college?

ahh cool - at my school we do the entire maths A level in y12 then FM in y13. which of ur A levels is ur fav and least fav? and do any take more time to study than others?
Reply 6
Personally my fav a levels are econ maths and further maths
My least favourite is geography, but that is mainly because I have really boring teachers.
But I love all my subjects!! What subject is your fav at gcse, and what are you kost looking forwards to at a level?
Reply 7
Original post by fox473
Personally my fav a levels are econ maths and further maths
My least favourite is geography, but that is mainly because I have really boring teachers.
But I love all my subjects!! What subject is your fav at gcse, and what are you kost looking forwards to at a level?

aha i have a feeling i’ll have the same least fav A level since i despise physical geog but love human geog 😭 unfortunately my school doesn’t offer econ for gcse, but i quite enjoy the level 2 additional maths course atm (called fm gcse in england) and the normal maths and numeracy gcses were fun :biggrin: i sat them early and got 2 A*s
Reply 8
Lmao that does sound like you will have a similar experience to me
Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by fox473
Lmao that does sound like you will have a similar experience to me
Good luck!

thank you, you too!

Quick Reply

Latest